Suppose you received a free 100-400 IS.......

jay_chadney

<p>I came upon very fortunate circumstances the other day and was given a 100-400 IS lens along with the purchase of a 70-200 2.8 non-IS. It was a deal even this Nikon shooter could not pass up.<br>

I have been considering upgrading my Nikon D2x for some time now, and this situation has thrown a new twist in. I could abandon Nikon and get a 1d Mark III to go along with my 2 new lenses. Of course, I would need something shorter than the 70-200. I was set to get a 21/1.4 today with the 1dIII, but I kept getting inconsistent results - sometime the focus was spot on when in AI Servo, but way off when in single mode (or what ever it is called). Other test shots, it was the Single mode that was correct and the AI Servo shot was off. I did these tests for 30 minutes switching back and forth between 2 bodies.<br>

If I stayed with Nikon and upgraded to a D700, I would need to replace all my shorter lenses (12-24, 17-55, 30) to go with the FF. Money wise, it is a toss up - take advantage of the jump start with the 2 big canon lenses, or sell them for a great profit and use the $ to upgrade my Nikon.<br>

I could keep my D2x and upgrade my 80-200 to the 70-200 vr (I feel it is an upgrade)<br>

To the question: Is getting this "free" 100-400 enough of a reason to switch back to Canon?<br>

Current items in use with my D2x:<br>

12-24/4 Tokina DX<br>

17-55/2.8 Nikon DX<br>

30/1.4 Sigma DX<br>

85 /1.8 Nikon<br>

150/2.8 Sigma Macro<br>

80-200/2.8 Nikon afs<br>

100-300/4 Sigma<br>

sb-800<br>

Other things you might like to know about me: I like the pro bodies better than bodies that need an add-on grip, I shoot everything from my kids, to real estate photography, two weddings (done 2, but have not gone out to try to get more), to youth sports, to landscapes, to "street". Pretty much everything.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm a Canon guy, and use a 1D3 and 40D and I say stay with Nikon, sell what you need to sell, and upgrade the body. I have been plagued with the 1D3 from the day it hit my hands. Some will respond to my comment here in a while, but its not user error. You think that after getting one for the first time, listening to all the users here tell you how complicated it is, but after a while, it becomes evident that its not the user, its the camera. Its not hard to press a focus button. Its not that hard to set up and its not that complicated of an AF system. It makes some feel smart to tell others they dont understand this very complex camera...but really, its not hard, if you have any brains.<br>

It has some extra Custom Functions that the 40D doesnt have, but they really dont effect the AF that much. Only in unique situations. And they really dont effect the One SHot at all, yet it will also deliver inconsistent results. Its fine at say f5.6 or so, but use f2.8 a lot and you'll see it start dropping keepr rate like a rock.<br>

Do a quick search on the 1D3 and ask around and I'd bet you get tons of users who were extrememly dissappointed by the 1D3. I have had inconsistent results with One Shot and AI Servo. I will say this, its better now than its ever been. But, it takes constent monitoring of focus characteristics and periodic adjustment of front/backfocus in body to insure consistent results. Right now its spot on about 90% of the time, but so it was 6 months ago after it came back from Canon, only to need adjustment again 6 months later.<br>

The new Canon 7D may put an end to Canon AF issues, but I dont know yet. If the new system pans out well for the 1D4, I'll stay, if not, its Nikon here I come.</p>

<p>You have answered your own question really. You own a D2X. Obviously you can use it, you get consistent results with it. You should be able to put a 1D3 in your hands, press the focus button and achieve focus, but you dont. You know if its some setting issue or not. So why would you get out of system and into one you already have question about before even purchasing. Like driving a new car, car missing and engine stalling, yet still thinking of getting out of your reliable vehicle in favor of the new one anyway. Just trying to keep you from making a fatal mistake. Good luck</p>

<p>If you do any wildlife photography, my thoughts are buy a used Canon crop body like Rebel XS, XT, XTi, or 20D for about $250-400 and then upgrade the Nikon body. I would then keep the 100-400mm and sell the 70-200mm f2.8. You would most likely be using a tripod with that bad boy and due to the focal length for best results, so you shouldn't need a grip. Then upgrade the Nikon body first. If you like the lenses you have, what about going with the D300 (or D300s) with a grip and keep the lenses? For about $1000-1200 over what the 70-200mm goes for used you can upgrade to the D300 and get a used crop Canon body for wildlife photography with the 100-400mm.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Good choice! I'm a Canon shooter, but I've heard great things about the IQ of the 70-200 VR. And you may already know, both the Canon 100-400 and 70-200 are high demand lenses on the used market. I suspect you can sell them very quickly and for a very nice profit. Oh, and don't bend over, your horseshoe might fall out. ;-)</p>