Northern FL Coast in Late February? (Georgia Coast too)

john_bald

<p >Thinking about a photo excursion out of the snows of February in Maine down to the interesting islands and coastline of northern FL & southern GA. I like to shoot seascapes, sunrise, sunset, landscapes, wildflowers, architecture (my gallery: <a href="www.johnbald.net/gallery">www.johnbald.net/gallery</a>).<br>

Any locals want to comment on photographic locations in any of the following? Do you have a favorite?</p>

<ul>

<li>Ft. George Island</li>

<li>Timucuan – Talbot Island State Park</li>

<li>Amelia</li>

<li>Cumberland Island S.P.</li>

<li>Jekyll Island</li>

<li>Ponte Vedra</li>

<li>Anastasia</li>

<li>St. Augustine</li>

</ul>

<p>Thanks very much,<br />John</p>

<p>I can't talk too much north of St Aug, but in St Aug there are more than enough to keep you busy. The fort there is the oldest in North America. There are canons, battlements, and of course the landscape that make for great pictures. There is the lighthouse which again presents a great focal point and also a great perch for landscapes. The alligator farm is a godsend for bird photogs during this time of year and a month or so after your timemframe there is a world famous photography festival based out of the old marine land (near St Aug) and all around town. If you are willing to come a bit further south, MIWR (Merrit Island Wildlife Reserve) is a target rich environment and Blue Springs State park will have a river full of Manatees. Hope this helps.</p>

<p>John,<br>

I find that St. George Island does provide some nice arrangements for photos. The small town nearest to St. George (Apalachicola) is also a great location for old fishing boats and those amazing compositions you can sometimes find in old blue-collar towns. Amelia Island is also beautiful but has more of an artsy vibe to it than St. George, but still a fine location for shooting. I'm not as familiar with some of the other places. St. Augustine can be nice as long as you aren't swamped by the tourists. Good Luck and happy shooting. Sounds like you'll be spending some time in my neck of the woods this winter. Let me know if you have any other questions.</p>

<p>-Harley</p>

<p>What got me intrigued with Jekyll Island in the first place was a workshop I read about. I'm not able to go this time around but I do hope to go in 2011. In case anyone's interested, here's the link:<br>

<a href="http://www.tmelive.com/index.php/articles/view/258.html">http://www.tmelive.com/index.php/articles/view/258.html</a><br>

Jekyll Island Landscape Photography Workshop w/Craig Tanner and Marti Jeffers, 2/24-2/28/10, $1095/person</p>

<p>Hi John,<br /> Spots around north Florida to check out -<br /> Black Rock Trail on Big Talbot Island - little Talbot has the beach and park - but Big Talbot is great to see as well - its a short walk from the road or parking lot.<br /> Town of Fernandina and harbor area. No lobster - lots of shrimp.<br /> Fort Clinch - Fernandina<br /> Okefenokee Swamp - you can rent small motorized boats for the day and cruise the swamp - great time of year for it. <br /> Have a good trip.</p>