aperture error

cristian_a

<p>Ok so i have a D90 and a 50mm f1.8 mounted on and i tried to use manual aperture and focus but it doesn't let me shoot and gives an error on the small lcd saying FEE ...<br>

i know i'm suppose to lock the lens at f22 so it will take pics but i don't know why... well mainly i don't get if i can't use the aperture ring manualy what's the point on having it on the lens ...</p>

<p>The lens aperture ring is intended for older cameras. With a D90 you control the aperture with the front command dial. To be able to do this you have to set the lens to the minimum aperture (maximum f/No.). You can lock it to prevent changing it by mistake.</p>

<p>Try this and let us know if you can't use the front command dial.</p>

<p>All this should be explained in the manual.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...what's the point on having it on the lens ..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's exactly why the newer 'G' lenses don't have an aperture ring. The first 'G' lens was introduced in 2000. The first Nikon DSLR was introduced in 1999. Nikon began making AF-D lenses in 1992.</p>

<p>The AF-D lenses were designed to work with a lot of film SLR cameras made prior to DSLRs, and put on the 'aperture lock' feature for the more recent film SLR cameras from around that time that didn't need an aperture ring. It's not an "aperture error" - it's about backward-compatibility.</p>

<p>Nikon's history is that if you buy a camera, you'll be able to get new lenses that will work on it for a long time. I think that's a good thing, especially considering the image quality of current DSLR bodies.</p>