Summicron 50 mm F/2 collapsicle lense what do you think ?

I had two of these lenses over the years. I would say assuming the glass is good that the price was not too bad. Mine came with various M cameras, so I can't calculate a single unit price that I paid. Compared to later Summicrons, I found my results to be a bit lacking. Contrast was lower than I liked, and wide-open performance paled when compared to the later Black Summicrons.<P>

If however you have the sharpness thing covered by some other lenses, it might be fun to experiment with this lens. I miss an older "lesser" lens that I use to have. Put some film through your camera and see if <B>you</B> like it. Nobody here can say if it is good enough for you.

Hi Remi:

I have the same lens on my M6. This lens is extremely difficult to find in perfect condition. Have you checked the elements for scratches and presence of mould? The price in my opinion is cheap and may reflect its real condition. Did you check opening + closing of the diaphragm? Notwithstanding any damage, even less than perfect specimens will give stellar images, so don't worry!

Price seems fair for a colapsible, about it´s usage I don´t think it can be crazy, if not a lens of the latest leica quality, it is a lens with it´s very own caracteristics, that lot of photographers like to use for diferent reasons, I still use an Elmar 50/3.5 from the 40's, "collapsicle" too, with desirable results, of couse it can´t compare contrast and resolution with lates summicron, but it makes a great portrait lens. Go and squezz it´s caracteristics my friend ;)

Although a good lens in its own right, I think you payed a slight much. You could find a later model, (rigid or DR/ no eyes) for maybe 100 more. I paid 325 for a DR with no eyes and love it. They are out there. Check the forum for comments on all of these. personally I dislike collapsable. Shoot it and see if you like it, thats the true test.

Remi, I have one that I use as a travelling lens, and in combination with a M6 it makes for an extremely compact package. The lens performance is good by general 35 mm standards, however not up to the later series 50 crons or the newer ASPH line of lenses. Having said that, the lens has a definate signature, and one that many people exploit to produce a softer style of photographs that is difficult to reproduce with todays lenses.

Special note, the front elements have very soft coatings are usually scratched from cleaning, however they have to be severely scratched to deteriate the image quality to any extent.

Nice lens for portraits-lower contrast than the current Summicron can be flattering for people shots, especially at wider apertures. Nice out of focus highlights. Flares easier than the current lenses, and as others have said, tends to accumulate a bit of internal fog. I got caught up in the "sharper is better" syndrome and sold mine a few years back-wish I'd kept it.

Remi:

I have three 50 Summicrons. The collapsible tends to flare easier and when shooting transparencies, they have a much warmer tone to them. My lend has the dreaded fungus and is low on contrast, but still a very workable lens. As others have posted, Do you like the results? You are the only one who can determine this. All it takes is money to chase newer, better, contrastier, smaller, faster or lighter. At some point I have to say enough, and I prefer the newer ones, but they are not as compact.

Shoot some film and let US know what you think of the lens.

Enjoy.

Remi; The Leica Summicron collapsible 50 mm f/2 of mine cost about 350 usd used. I like the compactness and the style of the lens. This was the standard issue lens for Leicas; and used for decades. Mine is very sharp wide open; and has no fungus or weird coating problems. My brand new LTM Rigid Summicron 50mm F2 is used on occasions that I really need more contrast; but it is a heavy chrome lens.

Remi, I have all the 50mm Summicrons except for the "rigid." My collapsible is almost as sharp as my tabbed model, the current formula (though not the current mount). The contrast is lower on the collapsible one, enabling one to see into shadows; that is sometimes a benefit with color film. It does have the "Leica Glow."

It will have a place among your Leica gear. Enjoy.

Bob Fleischman

I still have one of these, and though it's had a UV filter on it siince it was new, the front coating is not in perfect shape. I used it first on my LTM's, then with an adaptor on my M2s. When I got an M4 I got a 11817 and have not wanted to use the collapsible since.