Printing spreads at lab vs. album company, and a few other questions

vicky2

<p>I am going to be designing my first wedding album and I am completely overwhelmed by all the choices out there! Hoping the photo.net community doesn't mind helping me with a few top questions:<br>

1. Are most people printing their spreads at a lab as opposed to having the album company print them? Or are there certain album companies out there who have very good printing? (or maybe it's more a matter of seeing the prints before making an album?)<br>

2. For those who print at a lab, do you just print on the smallest size paper that fits your album spread? And the album company simply crops on their end?<br>

3. Does anyone have advice regarding which album companies are easiest to order with? In my research I've gotten the impression that many album companies are still "old school" in the sense that orders are placed with a PDF form. If two companies had equal quality, I'd want to go with one that provided easy online ordering and tracking. Currently I am considering Zookbinders, Leather Craftsmen, Finao, Collages.net (although I believe you can't send prints to collages.net), Miller's and whcc.<br>

4. Do you charge clients tax on albums? (assuming you don't have to pay tax to the album manufacturer if you're going to resell?)</p>

<p>Thanks so much! Even if you just have input on any one of these questions, it would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>1. Yes, because I want to inspect the prints prior to mounting and binding. I never want my album company to work with a print that I have not inspected and approved for use.</p>

<p>2. You need to the print specs for the particular album and/or company that you are dealing with. I use Leather Craftsman 3500 series flush mount albums and if the book I'm having made is, say a 10x10, I send them 20x10 prints and they cut the split and 1/8" trim.</p>

<p>3. Again, I use Leather Craftsmen, and the ordering is super simple. I package up my prints, include an order form with my special instructions, and FedEx it off. If there is a problem or question, the tech handling my book always calls me directly. I also use Asuka Book when clients want that style book and it's a completely different process. You must use their templates and their file checker software which converts your spreads to a single PDF file that's sent electronically.</p>

<p>4. Yes, but you will need a resale permit from your State to be exempt from paying it to the book maker.</p>