Grids

jean_henderson

<p>A grid looks like a slice of a honeycomb. Grids are guaged in the size they restrict the lights. 10, 20, 30 40 degrees. They are used to control spread of light. Nice to use to prevent lens flare if lighting towards the camera. Outdoors, the advantage over, say, a flag that is like a sail in the wind, grids attach to the front of the light and are minimally effected by the wind. They may also restrict the escape of heat so watch use of modeling lights, or continuous firing of flash. Modeling light heat can be minimized by having it track power and/or going off as an indicator that flash has re powered up. If you are using speedlights, Honl makes grids for them. Gives the option of hiding a small wireless light that is gridded in the shot. Grids are useful for placing light in a specific place. They dont focus the light, just restrict, so if using a speedlight, zoom out to greatest zoom. </p>

<p>Honl also makes a snoot that is silver on one side and black on the other when rolled into a tube on front of speed light. Makes a difference in fall off, black, pretty abrupt, silver, since light is bouncing out of the insides, a bit softer fall off. Foam core makes a nice one. For studio strobes, I like cinefoil and gaffer tape. For use of grids and snoots, take a look at the Strobist site dealing with restricting light. </p>

<p>I've spent hours researching since my last post. On one thread here on PN, I found a reference to Saxonpc.com as a place to buy grid material. It's incredibly inexpensive. The original poster has some sort of canon flash for which he said he said he had purchased "cheap plastic diffusers", cut the top out and placed the grid material into it so that the total cost of each grid was about $4 each. I can't seem to find anything on the web that is tagged "cheap plastic diffusers."</p>

<p>So, here I am trying to come with an idea that is similar. The external measurements of my flash head are 2-7/8" x 1-11/16". I've considered the possibility of black craft foam held together with gaffers tape and some kind of velcro connectors. Anyone got a better idea? Thanks.</p>