Whom Should I ask about Flash Photography in A Church?

chimera_h

<p>Usually this should be discussed at the time you book the wedding and sign the contract, if not before that. usually the bride knows because the church will let her know but if she does not know give the church a call and someone will point you to the right person to ask such question. Good luck!</p>

<p>In all the Catholic churches I know - and I'd say this holds true for other churches and denominations as well - the pastor or the minister who will preside at the ceremony is the ultimate authority. However, I almost never talk to the pastor or priest about this, because most churches have wedding coordinators who can speak on the minister's behalf; and many churches (indeed, most, these days) have a written policy for photographers. </p>

<p>I would suggest calling the church directly and asking for the wedding coordinator. Simply explain that you're a photographer who has been hired to shoot the Smith-Johnson wedding November 19 and you're interested in getting the church's policy on photography. You'll be mailed a sheet with the rules or you'll be directed to a web page; or at least you'll get to the person who can inform you.</p>

<p>For what it's worth: The answer to the question you implied in your subject line is very likely "No" - at least not during the wedding ceremony itself. :-)</p>

<p>But of course you should ask.</p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>I approach the officiant just prior to the ceremony to ask about the gudelines. Occasssionally I've had churches that have mailed me the guidelines weeks/months prior to the event and sometimes there will be a "church lady" (wedding coordinator) who will generally approach me as soon as she sees me at the church. Even in the event of a coordinator I will still do a quick check-in with the officiant to see what he/she wishes. Once in awhile the officiant is a visiting priest/minister and often they will simply defer to the church.</p>

<p>I generally don't worry about this beforehand and am always prepared to shoot with or without the flash whenever I cover a wedding. Plans have a way of changing at the last minute, so it's best to be prepared for any contingency.</p>

<p>First, you need to discuss this with the B&G, they usually do NOT know that there are rules in some churches. The B&G needs to know if there are shots that you will not be able to take because of church rules.</p>

<p>Some churches say, do anything. some churches say no flash during the ceremony. Some churches say no Photos! during the ceremony. I had a minister say she did not want to hear the sound of the shutter. Every church is different. <br>

There are also places that you can not go, you may have to stay behind the last guest.<br>

If the B&G does not know or even if they do, ask the Priest/minister just prior to the service, ( get there a little early if you have to) That way the priest/minister will know you are working with him/her and the rules.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>1. Inform the bride and groom that you will be talking to the Officiant - I only talk to that person - no one else knows the rules like they do. Don't assume anything. Don't think - okay I did a wedding in this church previously - and here are the rules. Rules change...Pastors change...</p>

<p>2. After your talk with the officiant - and only then - talk to the bride and groom - let them know of any restrictions that have been placed on you. </p>

<p>3. No flash is very common. No movement / moving is right up there. So is Not on the Alter. Less common is the - you have to be behind the last guest, but that is out there too.</p>

<p>Confirm the rules with the Pastor on the day of the ceremony. Make sure there is no misunderstanding. Also - Just because a guest does something that you've been told not to...that doesn't give you the right to do that thing too... Example: A wedding I did was in a very traditional Catholic Church - The Priest told me - Stand up front - get the processional and the bride - then get up in the balcony and stay there. No Flash during ceremony and NO Photos during Mass. First 10 minutes of mass - at least 10 guests pop out their cameras and take flash photos. Priest came up to me after and commended me for not following suit.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>If there is a wedding coordinator, it is good manners to ask him or her first. But--double check with the officiant before the ceremony. Sometimes, the coordinator tells you one thing and the officiant tells you another. I go with what the officiant tells me. However, if that is different, be sure you tell the coordinator about it before the ceremony starts, because he or she can get agitated and pull you out of the ceremony, as can the officiant. It isn't the photographer's responsibility to be sure everything jives, but it is the photographer who suffers if they don't.</p>

<p>Has anyone here ever gotten to the point that there are churches where you won't shoot? I don't do weddings any more. But with the stories I see here of so many restrictions that make it difficult to do a good job, I could see that if there was a particular church that was particularly bad I would tell brides that I simply don't accept weddings that are held there. Assuming that I was actually getting enough work that I could afford to turn down those weddings. I'm not suggesting this for just any church that says no flash, but for the particularly restrictive ones where it all adds up -- no flash during the processional or during the service, no being in front of the church to shoot the bride coming down the aisle, having to stay behind the last guest no matter how far back, no movement at all, no shutter noise, low light levels that make shooting without flash impractical, unfriendly ministers who think "love thy brother" doesn't apply to photographers, and generally being treated like a second class citizen while the guests who violate the rules are tolerated.</p>

<p>Absolutely right David. And it's because so many photographers forget this that so many restrictions have been placed.</p>

<p>I hear far too many stories of photographers spoiling the ceremony, for example standing between the congregation and the proceedings or getting far too close up during the vows and exchanging of the rings. This arrogance is giving us a bad name.</p>

<p>for the OK for flash shots inside the church check with the priest/minister/vicar BEFORE the ceremony. also the coordinator if there is one. if the answer is no during the ceremony itself, then i strongly suggest that you go to the church with your light meter and dslr and find out at shooting iso what kind and how much light you do have and what fstop and shutter speed you end up with. good news or bad news???<br>

also, while asking about the use of flash inquire about using a tripod. there may be restrictions there as well. likewise any places that the minister does NOT want to you to be. while at the church check the physical layout. where is the bride going to be just before the ceremony? access for you, and lighting? flash use there ok(check with minister). do you have shots to take just before the ceremony, and does the bride want any? if shots are going to taken right after the ceremony, any restrictions? do not assume, check with minister.</p>

<p>Craig,</p>

<p>I completely understand your sentiment. Perhaps to keep the peace, when you get a call for a church that you don't like shooting in, you can just tell the potential client "I'm not available that day." They don't need to know why!</p>

<p>David and John are right about why the rules get enforced in the first place though. I have seen a lot of churches that were once photography-friendly become almost impossible to shoot in because of a few very unprofessional "pros." My favorite illustration happened at a church that suddenly started a VERY restrictive photography policy. Since we had worked there a few times, we politely asked what prompted the new rules. The "church lady" proceeded to tell us about the bride who hired a Sports magazine photographer who apparently thought a wedding should be covered like a football game. This photographer actually dove over the banisters on the altar creating a huge scene during the wedding so he could get pictures of the vows! Needless to say, the priest decided that photographers weren't allowed within 100 feet of the altar after that experience.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have heard of photographers that won't shoot in certain churches from brides that are looking to hire a photographer. I merely smile and say - "I have confidence in my ability to get the photos that you want regardless of the conditions / restrictions"</p>

<p>It's gotten me a few gigs.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I call the church ahead of time and talk to the wedding coordinator - I ask if I can come by and check it out - this helps me build rapport with the coordintor at the church and ensures that I know all the rules before the day and there are no surprises. I am shooting a wedding next month and they have a list of photographers who can not shoot in their church because they did not follow the rules and were disrespectful to their place of worship... I never want to be on that kind of list... once I know what the rules are I discuss it with the B&G - in addition, we determine if they are going to want "recreation" shot post wedding - which most churches allow you to do. </p>

<p>I've learned to talk to the officiant who is doing the ceremony, usually when I arrive at the church. The church managers will usually tell me the "house" rules, but ultimately it's up to the officiant since it's their preference.<br>

Funny story- a few weeks ago I did a Catholic wedding at a church I've shot at before. I introduced myself to the priest and asked for his guidelines. He told me that I wasn't allowed in the center aisle. "What about for the processional and recessional?" "NEVER!". Hmmmm, quickly thinking I asked him why. He said that too many photographers create a distraction- popping in and out of the pews. So I asked if I could stay behind the last row of guests and he agreed. Then he surprised me by telling me I could stand next to him for the processional! I was a bit intimidated by this 300 lb. priest, so I stood at the end of the first pew but he pointed to the floor next to him and had me move right next to him.<br>

He said all the churches in the dioces had the same rule, but I've shot more than a few weddings in Catholic churches in the area, including some very old ones, and never heard of that rule!<br>

During the ceremony, he even told the guests that this was a "Kodak moment" and everyone proceeded to pull out their phones and cameras. If I had been restricted to the back, I would have had a tough time getting a shot even with my 70-200.<br>

Oh, and he had no problem with flash! The church ladies weren't too pleased since they didn't know I had permission to be in the aisle. And he said nothing about the videographer who ignored the "stay off the altar" rule!</p>