WEDDING CRITIQUE OF THE WEEK 9/21/09--AKA Wedding Photo of the Week

picturesque

<p>David, <br>

<br>

On a matter of personal preference, I think you already know that the Post Production "pop" you desire in your controlled lighting Wedding Portraits is a little too much for my general "Available Light" disposition. . . <br>

<br>

But, in this image (being Available Light and under cover, especially with the bright sky behind) - your PP "pop" brings out the two groups against that background and enhances that shallow DoF – and thus the juxtaposition between the boys and the girls.<br>

<br>

(Aside) Now don't get all sulky that I criticized your Studio Portrait Techniques . . . with my "critique" . . . :) Cheers,<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Yeah, Gregory... I didn't have such luck yesterday at my wedding. I suggested a few fun shots, and they didn't seem to keen on any of them (including something with jumping, though I don't like to overuse something like that). It's definitely a matter of knowing the bridal party (I met everyone, including the bride & groom, in person for the first time yesterday), and getting a sense of what kind of mood there is.</p>

<p>David, your edit is looking way <em>too </em>contrasty for me - the guys' suits become one big mass of black without much detail left, on my monitor.</p>

<p>Thanks, everyone!</p>

<p>Hi Jen<br>

Awesome photo...love the emotion in it also. I give you credit for making the picture with your lens almost wide open but i agree with your marketing points regarding mom and pop with the PS camera. In my group of macho news and wire photographers they would say that takes "balls" to nail that. To be different and somewhat left of right (or right of left) is all good. We all have to take off the blinders sometimes to see the light....not stress out in the shoot and have fun. Listen to those we are photographing and ask them for ideas....if the mood strikes the subjects. Your relaxed mood is reflected in your image and with your 100 plus weddings your confident you can nail the moment. And you did.<br>

These forums are really great...everyone gets to have some very precise critiques as well as some off the wall comments (1.5 degrees off??). <br>

We do what we do because its fun. WW asked why most pro's don't post stuff here. I guess i'm a little lazy with my free time. But yes your right WW....I can always learn something wether it be from a fellow pro or from someone with a box camera. <br>

Focus & Recompose---is that a term for using the shutter button to focus and them shoot? I shoot news and a lot of sport (covered three olympic games so far) and i use the rear focus button on the canon cameras. Its a very cool function and is widely used by the news crowd of photogs. I also use it for weddings. Basically the shutter button is only used for exposure lock and shutter release. The rear focus button (little star button near thumb on canon) triggers the focus only allowing you easier compostion.<br>

Wow....early Tuesday rant...sorry.<br>

Cheers<br>

Andre</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong><em>"Focus & Recompose---is that a term for using the shutter button to focus and them shoot?" </em></strong><br>

No. It is as you described later: <br>

Setting the focus allocation to the * on the rear of the camera (Canon).<br>

Specifically, for that shot and a 5D I would have use the Centre Point for AF on the base of the Bride's Gown. That is the "focus" bit. <br>

Then I would have reframed the shot - that is the "Recompose" bit.<br>

<br>

***<br>

<br>

Did you also work at the Comm. Games in Victoria? <br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Yes I was there. I loved Victoria. I loved the food too. I still have the Fluffy Toy "Klee Wyck" - which was given to me in my press kit - he's kinda cool. Just before '94 I was moving out of Full Time W&P and we were just deciding to sell the business and was I was lucky enough (or I worked hard enough) to land a second string gig in Victoria - I went to Atlanta too, but that was interrupted, and also Sydney (obviously). All experience, is good experience. WW </p>

<p > </p>