Bird ID -- is it native?

wpahnelas

<p>i photographed the bird below at my neighborhood pond. i've spent a significant amount of time researching what species it is, and my best guess is that it's a grebe. but what kind? a taiwanese website shows a specimen that closer than any other i've found -- but i'm in central virginia, USA. perhaps i wouldn't think it so odd if i'd even seen one before. it's habit reminds me of a diving duck, like hooded mergansers or ring-necks i've seen at this same location. but the physiology of this is totally unlike a duck, so what is it?</p><div>00UYUV-174787684.jpg.6fab1d4fafb90c7ef6006ec35ce87cae.jpg</div>

<p>thanks to everyone for helping me ID this guy. it occurred to me it might be a juvenile, which explains the lack of distinguishing markings. it sure is an elusive little critter -- that diving-and-disappearing trick is really something. funny how you can go around for 50 years without knowing what's in your backyard.</p>

<p>They're actually quite funny compared to other grebes, sometimes when you approach these ones they don't dive by plunging head first into the water but rather sink straight down. Like a little submarine with head (periscope) disappearing last, leaving no splash or ripple to betray that they were ever there.</p>