I need a good Lens.

jeverett

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I am a wedding photographer, just getting my bearings in the field and need to buy a good lens for shooting. I like the versatility of the zoom lenses (18-135) but I need to upgrade my equipment.<br>

Any suggestions for sharp, fast, versatile lenses?? </p>

<p>Is your camera DX or full frame?</p>

<p>Probably the most popular and versitile wedding zoom is the 24-70 (if you budget can stretch to it!), you may be able to find the 28-70 used for a bit less though. It is a big heavy lens though so depending on your camera and flash it may get uncomfortable to manage all day. Sigma also make one but no idea how good it is.</p>

<p>For DX look at the 17-55/2.8</p>

<p>With film I used a 35-70 F2.8 exclusively for hundreds of weddings. The wide end is enough for groups, and won't distort. And the long end is just enough to isolate two people for portrait type shots.</p>

<p> I found 99.9% of my bread & butter shots could be shot with this lens. I also carred wide and tele primes(24,28,50,135,200), but rarely needed them. Your mileage of course will vary depending on the style you shoot.</p>

<p>don't we all?<br>

do you prefer zooms or prime lenses? primes are faster, zooms more versatile...<br>

you need to specify what role in your shooting this lens will play, and then what your budget is.<br>

but just for starters, how 'bout the 17-55/2.8 or the 85/1.4? better yet, how about both?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I like the versatility of the zoom lenses (18-135) but I need to upgrade my equipment.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I think the OP has made it very clear that she prefers a zoom, and apparently she currently has a 18-135 (or maybe I am reading that wrong). The 18-135 is a DX lens, so presumably the OP is shooting a DX-format DSLR.</p>

<p>The 17-55mm/f2.8 AF-S DX should be the obvious choice for weddings. Whether the price and weight meet your needs or not is another issue.</p>

<p>if cost and weight are not issues, the best lens so far for me is the 17-55mm f/2.8. on occasions that i want to go light, i use the sigma 18-50mm f/2.8. on my second camera i have the sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 for reach.................others prefer the tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as alternative to the nikon. and you have to go wide, at least 18mm.......others will disagree but you can't shoot weddings with a prime as your primary. so i carry the 50mm f/1.8 in my pocket, pouch or vest.</p>

<p>if you are just starting, the 18-135mm will do the job with flash. but that will be slow if flash is restricted. i hope you have at least the SB-600. do you have the D80? you will need two cameras if you want to venture professionally into weddings and other events.</p>

<p >Crikey! Shung Cheung cut through that like an hot knife through butter . . . I like your style. <br /><br /></p>

<p >Jo: whilst you might like the versatility of a zoom: you might also come to appreciate the versatility of a fast Prime or two - for a DX format, and Weddings a fast 35 and a fast 85 will compliment that zoom which you are now pondering.</p>

<p ></p>

<p >I (strongly) suggest you have a second camera body.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I do not do Nikon: but I do, do Weddings . . . I am just visiting here.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>