I'm looking for a 70-300

laleicasinlente

<p>Hi guys,<br>

I'm trying to expand my EOS 450D. For now I have only the 18-55 kit lenses.<br>

My former camera was a Pentax and I enjoyed a lot with a 70-300 from Tamron.<br>

Now I'm thinking that I want to repeat the experience with my new camera but I'm not clear about what 70-300 choose.<br>

These are the options:<br>

SIGMA<br>

AF 70-300/4-5.6 APO MACRO EOS (230 €)<br>

AF 70-300/4-5.6 DL MACRO EOS (155 €)<br>

TAMRON<br>

AF 70-300/4-5.6 DI EOS (155 €) --- This is the one that I owned for my former camera<br>

CANON<br>

EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM (490 €) --- Maybe very expensive for me<br>

EF 75-300/4-5.6 III (240 €)<br>

EF 75-300/4-5.6 III USM (280 €)<br>

Is very important the APO treatment?<br>

Are the Canon better lenses than the others?<br>

I'll try to post the kind of picture that I want to do.<br>

Thanks in advance and best reggards,<br>

Mariano</p><div>00UXoP-174489584.jpg.d362d865e97896c7c216e5eb65f67a2f.jpg</div>

<p>I would recommend the Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS. It has IS, very important IMHO for tele. Image Quality is decent, has one UD element. Plus it's cheap and light. I'm not sure the which Pentax you used before, if it's film camera then this Canon lens will give you apparent 88-400mm zoom range. I also use the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L, but this little EF-S lens stays on my camera bag.</p>

<p>I checked out amazon German, it's listed at 222 euros.</p>

<p>Sample picture:<br>

<a href="../photo/9748586">http://www.photo.net/photo/9748586</a><br>

Good luck</p>

<p>A is right. The 55-250mm IS is a great bargain. The 70-300mm IS is a good lens for the money, and it would work on a 35mm-sensor or film camera too, which the 55-250 would not. However, your camera is fairly new, so I wouldn't worry about that unless you are positive you'll be going in that direction in the future.<br>

The only thing going for the Canon 75-300mm lenses is their price. Otherwise they are an old design and I'm sure will be taken off the list sooner or later.</p>

<p>Both Sigma and Tamron make good lenses and if you were satisfied on your Pentax with the Tamron, I'm sure you'd be happy with it on the Canon. The main thing is that the lenses you list are not image-stabilized lenses. I personally would not buy a lens in this range without some kind of image stabilization. There are new lenses just recently released from both Sigma (they call it OS) and Tamron (call it VC) with this feature and I'd look at them.</p>

<p>I agree with the Canon 55-250 IS recommendation.</p>

<p>APO in camera lens names is really more of a marketing thing than having any great significance to real world picture making. It is short for Apochromatic which means that the whole range of colours are focused with very small amounts of colour fringing. In fact for telephoto lenses colour fringing is generally not much of a problem and colour correction is usually good. </p>

<p>The other name used by the lens manufacturers marketing people is Aspherical. That just means there is an element or two with non-spherical surfaces. Neither of these tings in themselves will deliver good image quality because there are so many other factors involved in making a good lens. You will notice that it is only third party lens makers who plaster their lens names with APO and Aspheroical. The names can be ignored but instead look carefully at the lenses performance.</p>

<p>Hello Mariano,<br>

I had almost the same question on this formum two weeks ago. I ended up choosing Canon 70-300 IS USM, 560 USD from Adorama, after listening the advices to wait for some more money and buy a good lens.<br>

The optical quality, in my opinion, is better, as well the construction of the lens then you can find in Canon 55-250 or Sigma & Tamron with a price around 3-400 USD. Please consider this lens and be patience, save some money and buy a good lens - you will not regret it.<br>

</p>