Carl Zeiss serial numbers

<p>Does any one know what is the difference betwen lenses depending on serial? I have noticed that sellers often emphasize on the serial number. <br /> <br /> Show where you can learn and read about the features of different optical period of issue, namely, the Planar 1.4 and 1.7. <br /> Perhaps a series of a certain range should not be taken, and focus on others. <br /> <br /> Is the serial important in purchasing of lens at all?</p>

<p>The only significance of the serial #s (aside from the interest to collectors) is that they indicate the age of the lens. For example, Zeiss produced view camera Tessar lenses at least as early as 1900 and those continued to be produced into the 1960s or 1970s. The later versions are most likely of better quality than the very early versions (though I have gotten excellent results with lenses from the 1930's) and the most recent lenses were coated.<br>

Ron Gratz </p>

<p>Serial numbers tell the age of a lens - they are often emphasised by sellers to make the buyer think a) that it matters in itself, and b) to make it seem like you are buying from a knowledgable source. (and you may well be.....)</p>

<p>The Tessar given as an example was recomputed a couple of times after the first version was introduced at f6.3 in 1902, to f4.5 and later to f3.5 or f2.8, but the aperture is the giveaway, not the number. Another example is Planars which are either 6 or 7 element depending upon their age. FSU lenses often have the last two digits of the year as the first two digits of the serial number.</p>

<p>Collectors may have a reason for preferring items from within a certain number range, but it is for the features that that range exhibits, not the number per se.</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Can anyone point me to a list of Zeiss serial numbers?<br>

P.S.: For Contax versions actually. I found a few lists but they end about 1975 and don't have the serials for the C/Y mount lenses that I'm looking for.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot!</p>