DX1/D100 first lens choice - Newbie question

chuckunderhill

<p>Hi Everyone,<br>

I got a call from my aunt the other day, and she has upgraded her cameras, and is sending me either her D1X or her D100 as a late Birthday present, because she heard from my Mom that I am still shooting on film. :) :) :)<br>

Anyways, I have used a number of Nikons over the years, mostly hand me downs, and all my current gear is Canon. The Nikon isn't going to come with a lens, and I need to find one. My favorite Canon lens is my 35-105, or my 28-105. I do a lot of portrait style shooting. I have no idea what thou compare to in the digital world, and worse, I can't figure out what Nikon lens work with the D1X. I do have a 28-90 Tamron Nikon AF lens I used with my Nikon 6006. I do plan to buy a really nice crisp prime at some point, as well as a decent zoom for which ever camera I end up getting, but at the moment funds are pretty low.<br>

Anyways, suggestion on lenses to look at, info on the D1X etc appreicated!<br>

Chuck</p>

<p>You can't go wrong with a 50/1.8, at just over $100 if you're buying new. It will work on either of those bodies, and your N6006. It will act like a short telephoto on a DX body, but since you mentioned portraiture, it's a good inexpensive tool well suited to that. And since it's fast, it will help you to deal with the need to keep those older bodies down to the lowest ISO setting you can, to minimize noise.</p>

<p>Your Tamron lens might work OK with the new camera (if you were happy with the image quality you were getting from it). I have used AF film lenses on my Nikon with no problems. Just be aware to use the 1.5 Lens multiplication factor, so the Tamron lens would give you the field-of-view equivalent to a 42-135, which is still OK for a 'main' lens.</p>

<p>The master list of what goes with whom ...<br>

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html</p>

<p>Copy and print it out for all your next spending sprees :-)<br>

Remember that in dealing with DX bodies, you get the advantage of only using a smaller crop out of the center of the full frame lens. Thus, if a lens had edge issues, then that probably will be minimized and the lens will seem 'better' than it did on film. Nothing's free; you lose some of that wide angle feel with the 1.5X crop factor.</p>