"Super Zoom" with a E520

andy_spamer

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I'm new to SLR photography, and new board member who needs some advice.</p>

<p>I just purchased the Olympus E520 with the two lens kit. A 14-42mm and a 40-150mm. One of the main things i wanted from my camera was the ability to get really close to the action with sport (football and motor racing) photography. However i'm finding that even the 150mm on full zoom is not getting me as close as i'd like.<br>

I know i could buy a 300m Zuiko but that's quite a lot of extra money on top of what i have just paid out. </p>

<p>I've read about 'lens doublers' and these seem to provide a cheaper, compact option. However i'm concerned about compatibility and if things like IS and metering will still work correctly with these fitted. I also notice there are OM type lenses available cheaper but i'd need an adaptor for these.</p>

<p>In short can someone recommend a quick, cheapish way, of gaining greater zoom while i save up for a larger Zuiko lens?</p>

<p>thanks in advance</p>

<p>Andy</p>

<p><strong>If you try this, you will lose all automatic functions on the lens!</strong> That having been said clearly, you might want to try a FD-Mount adapter to u4/3. You could then use a 135mm f/1.8 and have the equivalent of a 270mm f/1.8. But you'll need to use a tripod and manual focus at all times. If you can find something @200mm in the FD-mount, you'll see an even greater gain in magnification. Simply put, your focal length will always be doubled. While your working aperature will remain the same.</p>

<p>Xavian-Anderson Macpherson<br>

Shingoshi</p>

<p>Xavian,</p>

<p>thanks for the quick answer... So if i want to retain all the automatic features i've no choice but to go with the digital Zuiko 300mm? Is their such a thing as a digial zoom doubler?<br>

Could i stick a macro attachment on the end of the Zuiko 150mm lens? These to have the effect of bringing the subject closer, or do i have the same issue that i'd loose all the auto functions?</p>

<p>Sorry if i'm asking basic question, i really am very new to this!</p>

<p>Andy</p>

<p>Andy,</p>

<p>Olympus does make a doubler. It's called a teleconverter. It will retain all auto features of any other Zuiko digital lens. Unfortunately it's more expensive than the 70-300mm. It also slows down any lens used with it so it's best used in brighter light conditions. See it here: <a href="http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=lens">http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_slr.asp?section=lens</a></p>

<p>Sure, Olympus makes a 2X teleconverter but have you seen the price! It's a hundred dollars more than just getting the 70~300 f4~5.6. And, as you would lose 2 stops a 40~150 f4~5.6 would become a 80~300 f8~11, a bit slow.</p>

<p>Andy, listen up. It's cheap and fun to adapt other lenses to Olympus 4:3 cameras. First order an OM to 4:3 mount adapter from one of the Hong Kong suppliers on E-bay. (Why OM? Because when you get a film SLR you'll get a classic OM-1n and that way the longer lenses you adapted to your E-520 will fit, simple, no?) OK, back to cheap and fun. Using an older manual focus lens on the 520 isn't really hard. You set the top control dial to A, that's aperture preferred auto. This means the camera will select the correct shutter speed for whatever aperture you select. You turn the focusing ring on the lens until the subject looks sharpest, if nor using your glasses then make sure the diopter is adjusted correctly for your eyesight. Then you take a shot. Chimp the shot to see if it is too dark or too light. If you need to then adjust the exposure bias plus or minus. Practice on non critical subject matter first to get your technique down. Practice follow focusing on moving targets, take a bunch of shots and check them to see how your improving. And, in fact, you will improve and without spending a bundle of money. Doing this will in no way prevent you from investing in hi-quality Zuiko glass made for you DSLR at a later date. But this will get you in the game quicker.</p>

<p>I have an E-410 but have used Olympus for 40 years. The first accessory I purchased for my 410 was a mount adapter. It cost me all of $28 shipped from Hong Kong. Of course I already had a full complement of OM mount lenses to adapt. However you can get some really nice zooms cheap. At the last photo show I picked up a mint Vivitar 75~205 f3.8 for $10,constant aperture too, it works great. There are a plethora of good cheap glass out there now that film is in decline and people don't want to focus manually. Sure, there is a lot to learn, but it can be fun learning and with your digital taking lots of pictures is a cheap way to learn.</p>

<p>I would thoroughly recommend the 70-300mm. The results are excellent for a lens of its price. If you take a look at my gallery folder 'A day at the races' you'll see the results that I've got with the lens (I would stress that I use an E3 rather than E520).<br>

I hope that is useful.<br>

All the best,<br>

Rob</p>