M9 and one $1000 lens - which one?

brian_kenimer

<p>I've tried a bunch of 50s and 35s. Never tried the 50/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar-C, though, because of the focus shift issue. If i were to buy an M9, i'd probably start with this lens, as, if there were a focus shift problem in a particular image, i could see it immediately and then correct for it. I also think i less-clinical, vintage-ish lens might take some of the hard digital 'plastic' off the images. </p>

<p><strong>WOW!</strong> I had no idea that I was asking such a loaded question!!</p>

<p><strong>Thanks Stephen</strong> for the<strong> 35/50/90</strong> breakdown - that explains a lot! <strong>But!</strong> , since we've discovered <strong>75mm are great</strong> and a <strong>40mm CV</strong> has snuck in there, too - I guess we should revise that to:</p>

<p><strong>our "Recommended"</strong> lenses for the<strong> M9</strong> are listed from <strong>Wide angle to Telephoto</strong> :</p>

<p> ...............<strong>35/40mm............ 50/75/90mm</strong><br>

<strong> (Great for landscape) (great for portraiture)</strong><br>

<strong><br /> </strong><br>

<strong>OK - I think that will help those of us a little confused as to how mm = what I'm trying to capture!</strong><br>

<strong>I wonder If I had my models sit still in the studio under controlled lighting while I switched out the different brands of lets say 3 different 50mm lenses - would the difference be that noticeable?</strong></p>

<div>00UX0N-174025684.jpg.0d0624e34f7950dbbf23b9f54d6d00b6.jpg</div>

<p>»Are the fider shoes plastic or metal on Voigtlanders?«<br /> 21mm, plastic, junky, easily broken (did that); 75mm, metal (and a truly <em><strong>excellent</strong> </em> finder, BTW). The 40mm, I don't know but you may check at Cameraquest. The <strong>regular</strong> 50mm finder is excellent as well. Very good high eye-point view and great brilliant lines. I use it with my IIIf. Hope it helps.</p>

<p>Get a Konica M-Hexanon lens if you want sharp shots.</p>

<p>The ones you have uploaded more seem made fuzzy in software than being soft due to an older lens. Personally, I feel this is not the way to go, vintage lenses render sharpness and contrast in a way no software can. And on big prints, it shows too! Like said, getting only one lens to go with the camera might not be a good idea.</p>

<p>When digital, I shoot an M8 with Konica M-Hex lenses, but certain situations call for an old Jupiter-3, a Canon 50mm f1.2, a Summar or an LTM-hacked Wollensak 50mm f2.8.</p>

<p>Visit RFF to find out a lot more about the lenses mentioned here, there's threads on almost any lens that fits an LTM or M mount Leica there.</p><div>00UZJo-175257584.thumb.jpg.b9ce984f7e57c866d705053a1cd3b289.jpg</div>

<p><strong>Well those are all from my video camera, LOL - BUT!!,</strong><br>

It's because of my enjoyment I've discovered from that - and the chance<br>

to capture them with amazing optics (the new M9) - now I've become<br>

a <strong>Leica fanatic</strong> - I would go so far as to say a M9 is in my close future<br>

and while I might start with a used <strong>90 f2 'cron to get started</strong> (or a CV) - a <strong>50mm f.95 Noctilux</strong><br>

looks amazing and since im 31 - I can see getting some amazing shots over the next<br>

30 years or so. I tend to learn from my mistakes and poor low light "noise" is<br>

something I would like to get beyond.<strong></strong><br>

<strong> I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who participated in this discussion, your advice and experience has helped me immensely</strong> and if all goes according to plan - I will be posting some great images from some amazing lenses and the M9!<br>

<strong>Also</strong> , I don't know how long this "thread" will be up, but, feel free to post any<strong> lens recommendations, reviews, great deals or for links to great deals (of course moderator approved)</strong> - because,<strong> I will get e-mail alert on any new posts!</strong> I feel this is a work in progress - as<strong> I always seem to learn something!</strong></p>