Vertical banding in B&W negatives

koray_p

<p>What could be the reason for vertical banding in the following shot? It is from my Leica M6 with Summicron 35mm at 1/1000 and f/8. Is this a scan issue, or something to do with the shutter (dirt/debris on shutter rails)?<br /> <br /> I've been using this camera for about 6 months. Since I don't shoot at high shutter speeds very often, I didn't notice this problem earlier.<br /> <br /> Any opinions?<br /> <br /> Thanks,<br /> Koray.</p><div>00UVlo-173399584.jpg.27f944b99be0eca4a40b2684ceb18694.jpg</div>

<p>Before sending the camera away for service, I'd look at the negatives to make sure there wasn't a problem processing the film. Occasionally insufficient agitation can cause stripes a appear across the frames (often aligned with the sprocket holes). It's unlikely (esp. if the film was processed by a lab), but worth checking before packing the body up.</p>

<p>I suspect a development problem. Parts of the neg didn't seem to be exposed fully to the developer. Having said that, you might also look for a scan issue. Look at the neg closely on a light table and see what's going on there. I have had this same type of look w/ B&W scans, yet on the light table the neg looked perfect.</p>

<p>Thanks for all answers.<br>

Geoff and John, the film is a C41 type (Kodak BW400CN) and it was developed at a shop. I checked the film, but since the edges are clear, there is no way to understand if this is a proccessing issue. It may well be a lagging curtain like Franklin says since it only appeared at a higher shutter speed.<br>

Well, I think I will keep shooting and try eliminating processing errors. If it appears again, camera is on the way to a repair person.<br>

Thanks!<br>

Koray</p>

<p>As regards Leica servicing, there are 2 schools of thought. One believes in regular servicing, the other says "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" (Probably few of the latter would say it was a good idea to run their car engine for 40,000 miles on the same oil). Leicas will keep going for a hell of long time without servicing, but grease will harden over time, stopping things from working in an optimum way, and as with any mechanical device, operation with a lack of lubricant means accelerated wear. In short, even if firing off your M6 several dozen times at 1/1000 does clear the shutter problem, it's probably time after 30 years to give it the CLA which will see it through the next 30!</p>

<h1>Shutter issue with M6 at 1/1000</h1>

<p ><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=1670384">Knut Schwinzer</a> <a href="/member-status-icons"></a>, Mar 05, 2009; 08:08 p.m.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I fixed it with the help of Gus. Don't know if it's the same problem, though...</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Best,</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Knut</p>

• 1 month later...

<blockquote>

<p>I had a similar issue with an M6 TTL in that I purchased in 2001. I sent it in for servicing under passport warranty on three separate ocassions and they were not able to fix it. They were kind enough to finally replace the camera with a new M7 however and I have been happy ever since.</p>

</blockquote>