Fiber Optic Supplier?

chris_hansen

A fellow photographer is interested in doing some light painting on landscapes using a mag light flashlight and some fiber optic cable. He has been unable to locate a supplier for some cable. Does anyone know of a good supplier. He needs a piece about a foot long and about a 1/4' in diameter.

Lot sure about local suppliers, but Edmund Scientific, Altex Electronics, Digikey, and Newark should all carry fiber.

<p>

Whether you can get a piece as short as one foot is another question. For lengths that size, you might check at a local networking and cabling contractor and see if they have any scraps lying around. Most mail-order houses have minimum orders around $20 US. That'll buy a LOT of fiber.

<p>

I've got to ask you a question in the hopes you can relay it to your fellow photographer: How big a landscape are you photographing? Directly fitting a fiber onto the end of a Maglite is great for doing macro work or studio work, but it won't be able to throw the light very far. If you're trying to light up big chunks of the landscape, you might do better to take the fiber off and use the Maglite directly.

<p>

But who am I to question your methods. I'd imagine a field of flowers photographed where each flower glows with its own inner light (each carefully painted using the fiberlight you're describing), would look pretty darned neato. Please ask your fellow photographer to post the results! Enquiring minds (like mine!) want to see.

<p>

Best of luck,

<p>

Tom

• 9 years later...