Problems focusing just one lens out of three?

tom_burke3

<p>I have spotted something interesting with my Leica outfit. I have a pretty basic set of equipment: just one body (M6TTL), and three lenses: 35mm Summarit, 50mm Summarit & 90mm Elmarit. I've noticed recently that when I focus the 50mm on infinity the rangefinder patches won't quite line up, but when I do the same on both of the other lenses, they do. I had always assumed that rangefinder patches not aligning at infinity behaviour was the result of rangefinder mis-alignment, but I also assume that that problem would be observed with all lenses. As I say, I'm only seeing this with one lens. Any thoughts?</p>

<p>I've had the outfit for about 18 months, and the 50mm was my first lens; the 35mm came along last December, and I got the 90mm in the early summer this year. The Summarits were new, the Elmarit was s/hand. It was all bought from the same dealer.</p>

<p>I am a new Leica user (June 09). I had a similar experience with a brand new silver 35mm Summicron on a new M8.2. For comparison I have a 24mm Elmar which allows me to actually move the split-image past infinity in the viewfinder. The split-image for the Summicron always stopped short of infinity and I never had the feeling I was actually in-focus at infinity even though the image was fine in the digital file. The problem is that this makes one question focus accuracy for all other distances.</p>

<p>I sent both my camera and the Summicron to Leica Service in NJ to marry the lens to the camera. A month later both returned with certificates affirming focus accuracy. I have seen an improvement in the split-image alignment in the viewfinder for the Summicron, but it still does not seem to nail the split-image alignment at infinity. There is absolutely no problem with the digital image at infinity or any other distance. Since I wear glasses and I am in my 60's, I wonder if it's just me and how I position my eye relative to the viewfinder. </p>

<p>The rangefinder operates from a lever arm in the camera body riding on a cam on the back of the lens. It is possible for either the lens or the body to cause it to be out of adjustment, though it seems like a lens cam being off would be an unusual occurrence... particularly when the lens is new and has not been serviced. It would be best to have the set checked out.</p>