Vintage Fan Type Bulb Flash Unit for IIIg?

robert_hooper1

<p>I am looking for a vintage type fan flash unit compatible or easily convertible to connect to the Leica IIIg. It must be able to use batteries readily available today. I know flash bulbs will be a challenge to find, but I often see caches of various types of vintage bulbs in thrift shops or on eBay. Any suggestions? Please be specific as possible about what flash plug outlet cord or adapter may be needed. </p>

<p>Aloha and mahalo.</p>

<p>Hi Robert, I have a Ikoblitz 5 and a pack of Philips PF1B 6 bulbs. Like most this flash requires a 15v batterie but you may fit a 12v mini available everywhere it will fire the flash. Set the batterie in with a spacer. The Ikoblitz actually works on my IIIG with its cord the fan is bright and clean it winds back, only the cover for transport is missing. If you are interested send me a note its free. Bulbs would be a problem for you no bulbs where made for some years, old stock is extremely priced.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The batteries for all the common flash guns are still readily available. Special order at any Radio Shack if you like going over the counter, however there are many better battery suppliers (price, service) on the web.<br>

No matter which one you get, you must expect to have to replace the capacitor. They are 30+ years old now, and they are dead. If you aren't prepared to replace the capacitor, you're going down the wrong road. (You need someone handy with a soldering iron.)<br>

Recognize that while there are lot of new old stock flashbulbs out there, the focal plane ones (6B , FP26B) are NOT that common, and getting pricey. If you wan to use the higher shutter speeds (anything above 1/30), these are the bulbs you need to use.<br>

Now, M3B and AG1B bulbs are common and dirt-cheap. But they are short-peak bulbs. I don't know the exact maximum shutter speeds with them on a IIIg, but I'd expect 1/30 and slower. Could easily lead to problems with blurred ghost images.<br>

The the flashgun, the Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite works as well as any, incredibly common, easy to find cheaply. Lots of room to replace the capacitor. Accepts all three flashbulb bases, so it can use the bayonet base of 6B, the midget base of the M3B, and the baseless AG1B. (Note that there's also a European version of the baseless flashbulb, such as the ones Manfred mentions, but the compatible flashguns and flashbulbs are common only in Europe.)<br>

You will need a Leica to PC adapter for the flash socket.<br>

Flashbulbs are fun, and they pack a walloping amount of light.</p>

<p>Thank you for the feedback so far. Please continue to bear with me.</p>

<p>Is there a fan/folding type flash (any brand) that uses batteries readily available today? I notice on eBay that some vintage folding flashes have a PC connection which the Leica IIIg appears to have. Is this correct?</p>

<p>Is there a technician anyone knows of who converts vintage Leica folding flashes to operate with batteries available today? or could replace a condenser? Thanks again for the feedback.</p>