Arca Swiss Orbix micrometric very stiff

david_tolcher

<p>I have just bought an Arca Swiss F Classic with micrometric orbix. All the movements are butter smooth (just a joy to operate) but the micrometric is really stiff and clunky. This doesnt seem quite right to me - esp with the engineering quality of the rest of the camera.<br>

1) Any other micrometric users - should it be butter smooth as the rest of the camera ?<br>

2) If I needed to get it serviced - any recommended places in UK or do I have to contact Arca directly ? I assume its not a DIY job.</p>

<p>Many thanks</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>That's no good! I'd give the DIY approach a try. I've worked on Arca swiss cameras before and they aren't too complicated (never disassembled the Orbix though). If it's too complicated, then you can just mail the parts off for repair! The front standard should slide sideways off the front function carrier and then you can see all the screws in the bottom. The front function carrier is really the only part you'd need to work on or send in for service.</p>

<p>You could try contacting Bob at Precision Camera Works (http://www.precisioncameraworks.com) and see if he has any suggestions. He's the main service guy for the US and is very helpful. He might be able to refer you to a proper UK repair person. Either that, or contact Robert White and see who they recommend, since they also sell a lot of Arcas.</p>

<p>"I have just bought an Arca Swiss F Classic with micrometric orbix. "</p>

<p>So does that mean that you bought this new? Then don't tamper with it and send it to Arca for warranty service.<br>

Or does this mean that you bought it used and it doesn't work? If so have you contacted the seller?<br>

If you take tools to it the seller or the factory might say that you tampered with it and that caused the problem.</p>

<p>It was bought privately from the US and worked when it arrived - just very very stiff but the guy hadnt used it for a couple of years so I suspect the grease has gummed up. I'll call RW in the morning and see what they say, I was going to buy new but they only have 6x9 demo cameras and couldnt get a 5x4 to look at ( I have an sv45te from RW) to compare. Buying S/H is hard in UK, they just arent available so US seemed like a good idea and the seller was great. <br>

I had taken the frame out but it has already been somewhat tampered with (screw heads are nearly stripped) so undoing the cover on the orbix wasnt an option without a much higher risk.<br>

The camera came from Precision so they may have a view also.</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Dave </p>

<p>Now fixed, thank you for your help. A new morning and a revisit of the screw heads so I took the option to strip it out myself as I had nothing to lose. A clean, lube and re-assembly has fixed it completely. I think where it was stiff the two cogs had just jammed together. Fortunately no parts required.</p>

<p>Best regards</p>