Fall color in Banff and Jasper - end of Sept.

alan_smallbone

Hi all,

I am heading for Banff and Jasper near the end of this month for my first trip to the area. I have Darwin Wiggett's book

but any must see locations? Also does anyone have any idea of current conditions or possible forecast as to what

they might be in a couple of weeks. I am looking for animals and landscapes and hopefully some fall colors. I am

really excited about the trip.....

Thanks a lot,

Alan

<p>Alan,<br>

Others will have a lot more than I do, but obviously you want to take a look at Lake Louise and Lake Moraine, the latter being the best to me. You MUST take the hike up to the top of the hill for the really great perspective of Lake Moraine. Bears are for real, so use your head. I found about as much wildlife along the roads as anywhere. You should love it.<br>

Colors, it might even be too late then, someone else will have to let you know on that. Enjoy and let us see some photos!<br>

Jim</p>

<p>Hi Alan,</p>

<p>I just got back from Jasper on Sunday and some of the leaves were just strating to turn,most were still green though, as long as the weather stays warm they should still be on the trees at the end of September. Darwin Wiggett's book will help you out a lot, but obviuosly you can't go everywhere.<br /> In Banff, Vermillion Lakes for sunrise/ sunset, as Jim said Moraine Lake (if the road is still open) anywhere along HWY 93 north to Jasper is awesome, stop at Peyto Lake, Athabasca Glacier (best view from Wilcox Pass trail), Tangle Falls. Athabasca Falls had a lot of water flowing last week so it should still be good. Maligne Lake in Jasper has lots of photo potential and Maligne Lake at sunset. Wildlife can turn up anywhere at any time so always be prepared. Patricia Lake in Jasper has a nice view towards Pyramid Mtn and a 'saddle' of Aspen trees hat turn golden in the fall, hopefully you will time it right. If the road is still open, head up to Mt Edith Cavell for one of the best views in Jasper (see Darwin's book).<br /> Link to my portfolio, most shots are from the Rocky Mtns http://www.photo.net/photos/Paul%20H<br /> Have fun!<br /> Paul</p>

<p>Here is a shot from Mt Edith Cavell, it is on the cover of a Jasper map for 2009/10</p><div>00USEO-171459884.jpg.dead19c2f57689a9ffe0329de1f3ef6f.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...