beginners strobist kit?

chadlatta

<p>Hello.<br>

I would like to do more flash photography but I have no experience or equipment. I am putting together a wish list of stuff I need to get and need some help. I currently have a d80 with a 18-135 and 50mm 1.8. I have a sunpak 555 and a nikon sb-50dx.<br>

Where should I start as far as equipment (flashes, reflectors, umbrellas). I am looking for a good beginner setup that I can put together relatively cheap and get the most use out of.<br>

Thanks<br>

Chad</p>

<p>one other quick question. While looking around, i notice a lot of flash setup photos show the flash while on. Is this because the flash was fired while taking the setup photo? or do some flashes act as a fill light and turn on 100% of the time? thanks...</p>

<p>Check out David Hobby's blog - strobist.blogspot.com. Lighting 101 includes a some very helpful recommendations for strobist equipment. You'll need a couple of small stands, perhaps and umbrella or two to start; much of the rest you can either make yourself or buy without breaking the bank.</p>

<p>"do some flashes act as a fill light and turn on 100% of the time?"-- No. Studio strobes normally have a modeling light that stays on constantly but it's separate from the flash tube (usually a light bulb surround by a cicular flash tube) and is used only for focusing and composing, not exposure. Shoe mount flashes do not have modeling lights and are only on when they fire. When you see a photo of a flash lit up, it's usually because it's connected to the camera that's taking the picture and fires at the same time the picture is taken just a flash normally would.</p>

<p>First determine whether your D80 will trigger Nikon flashes as a "commander" - where the flash triggers/controls other flashes. If it does, the SB600s are a reasonably priced commander-triggerable option. Then you can trigger wirelessly with no extra gear.<br>

A couple of convertible umbrellas are nice. With these you can remove the black cover and shoot thru them, or leave it on and use them for bounce.<br>

Add a couple inexpensive lightstands and the little clampy deals to hold on the flashes (and don't forget to put some tape over the metal flash shoe - don't want to short your terminals) and you're off.<br>

David Hobby's Strobist site is the bomb - highly recommended!</p>