2 1/4 slide projection

john_wiegerink1

<p>Well, I found a new toy to play with and need some advice. I went to a flea market on Monday and picked up a very nice Rollei P11 projector with a Rollei 110mm f2.8 lens and a 150mm f2.8. All in a beautiful Rollei carrying case. The guy dealt in antique furniture and had this setting back by his van. It was out of his area of expertize so he wanted to get rid of it at a very low, couldn't pass it up, price. The only thing is it didn't have any slide trays, but I have four of those coming very shortly. This thing is almost like new and the bulb isn't even bulged yet. It seems to work perfect, but won't know for sure until I get the trays. I have some transparencies I'm going to mount and also use my Rollei 3.5E and 2.8E along with the Hassy SWC to do some slide shooting. I'm burned out on this digital stuff and want to do something different and this sounds like a very good escape from digital. Now my question. What type surface of projection screen should I use? My ceiling height is 8', the bulb is 300W and I can project at a distance of up to 20' in one room(the one I want to use) and a little more in another.<br>

JohnW</p>

<p>It can be argued that a <em><strong>true white</strong> </em> matte surface is the "best" projection screen in terms of accuracy of color, sharpness, and the like.<br /> On the other hand, for brilliance of projection if you are showing other people your slides*, a traditional beaded glass or lenticular screen will be showier. Watch for the angle limitations on certain screens.</p>

<p>________<br /> *It occurs to me that it may not be so difficult as it used to be to actually corral a bunch of people to come see your slides. The younger of them will have never had the experience of falling asleep in the dark to the click, click, click of the changer and the older ones have not done this for so long that they may initially be nostalgic. (It will, of course, be increasingly difficult to get a return audience).</p>

<p>JDM,<br>

I think I'm leaning toward matte, but will try one of my older screens even if it is to small. The idea of corralling a group of kids is exactly what I had in mind. We have eight grandchildren, a cottage on a lake, a popcorn machine and a Slurpee maker. What could be better? Yes, it might be a one shot deal, but maybe I can get a couple of them interested in film images instead of digital.</p>

<p>Popcorn is good.</p>

<p>I won't go off in a reverie here, but mention of the sheet stretched out, reminds me strongly of a small nearby village that used to show old Charlie Chan movies in an empty lot on Saturday nights. The seats were bales of hay.</p>

<p>For medium format slide presentations, I use a beaded screen - which can be tilted forward to be at a right angle to the projector (Kindermann projector). The results are very good - perhaps could be better with a matte white screen. Just don't know having never used that idea. Perhaps you've had experience with mounting medium format slides in glass mounts and know this can be a laborious process. Some people use glassless mounts but these do not hold the film completely flat. Because of the nature of medium format photography, and the cost of mounts and mounting time, one tends to be careful in selection of images to be mounted. It certainly is an escape, as you put it, from digital. I have mounted hundreds of medium format slides and sometimes feel the need to escape to digital! Nevertheless, you will find that medium format slide presentations can be spectacular.</p>