Why do I need a 50mm 1/4 when I have a 28-105 zoom?

mike_coughlin

I am new to photography and intend to take on the hobby seriously and

learn all I can. Upon advice from columns I purchased a 50mm 1/4 and

a 28-105 zoom lense. My question is if the range of 50mm falls

within the zoom, why do I need the 50mm lense? Is there such a

difference in quality to justify its higher price and it is not even

a zoom?

This is perhaps the sort of question one should ask *before*

buying gear...

Anyway. There are two reasons why the 50mm 1.4 is a good

idea, in my opinion.

First, the 50mm lens can shoot at f/1.4. The 28-105, by contrast,

can only shoot at f/4.0 when it's set to the 50mm position. This

means that you can shoot in low-light conditions with relative

ease with the 50mm lens.

Second, the 50mm lens has much higher optical quality. Yes,

the 28-105 is an okay consumer zoom lens, but the difference in

sharpness and contrast between the two lenses is noticeable

even on a 4x6 print. Zoom lenses are harder to construct

optically and so involve more design compromises. To get the

optical quality of a 50mm lens in a zoom lens requires a pretty

expensive L-series Canon zoom.

The fast 50mm lens is often the highest quality lens (optically speaking) of

any linup. It is also, as I'm sure you've noticed by now, so much more

effective in low-light situations that you can often go without flash to

achieve less intrusive shots as well as pleasing natural light without a

tripod and motion blur.

<p>It's way faster. That gives you some options that the zoom can't - higher shutter speeds to stop action, better background blur, shallower depth of field, increased flash range.</p>

<p>It's sharper. It's smaller. It's lighter. It's much more flare-resistant.</p>

<p>It may help you to understand the difference between changing cropping (by picking a different focal length but standing in the same spot) and changing perspective (by moving closer or farther).</p>

<p>See my comparison of the 28-135 and the 50/1.4 at <a href="http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/writings/zoomvsprime.html">http://www.stevedunn.ca/photos/writings/zoomvsprime.html</a> for some more thoughts on this issue.</p>

<p>Also, you might want to figure out why you do or don't need/want a piece of equipment <em>before</em> buying it rather than after, because you'll encounter an awful lot of advice about what equipment you should have, and if you follow all that advice, you'll end up with a $20k of equipment sitting around and you'll spend all your time wondering how to use it all and none of your time actually shooting pictures :-)</p>

Why does someone buy a 300mm 2.8 instead of a 75-300 lens? Hopefully because they needed it.

Why did you buy your 50mm 1.4? I can tell you why I have mine, even though I own the 28-105 (canon) and a 28-70 2.8. It's smaller than either, and much lighter which is nice in many situations. Those are the obvious reasons which you can figure out just by looking at it. But the 50mm 1.4 is also faster, a full 2 stops faster than the 28-70 2.8 I have. That means I can shoot under situations I can't touch with the other two lenses. I have 4 times the light gathering ability with it over the 2.8 lens.

Does that sound important to you? Maybe not, maybe you only shoot in broad daylight. But with 1.4 there's also a much larger range of DOF you can control. Also, even at 1.4 the 50mm lens isn't bad. But as I begin to stop it down to, say 2.8 like the zoom I have, it will blow those zooms out of the water. Why? Most lenses perform better once you begin to stop them down. So the sweet spot for my 50mm 1.4 may be at the same aperture as when my 28-105 3.5-4.5 is wide open. That sure sounds nice to me.

Yes I noticed that while testing out the new camera (Elan 7e) indoors that the pop-up flash did not pop on the 50mm but did on the 28-105, now I know why - more light coming in.

I was just planning on sticking with these two lenses - the wife (who also wants to use the camera but keep it simple) will propbably enjoy the zoom while I will certainly study the art using the 50mm.

Thanks for the advise.

"Is there such a difference in quality to justify its higher price"

Yes

For a hobbyist. ??????

In most cases it might not be worth the difference if you get 4X6 prints and the occasional 8X10.

Croping, large prints, looking for the ultimate resolution/detail, or need that extra 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 stops? Different story.

Hope this helps

John

Working with a fixed-length lens may also help you develop a more disciplined shooting style, which might translate into better shots. If you have to walk around, sizing up angles and perspectives, and do more thinking before you trip the shutter--instead of zooming in, zooming out--you might force yourself to make the most of your opportunities.

Some photographers have built long and fruitful careers on just a 50 mm lens.

Mike, I also own a 28-105 plus a 75-300. But I bought a 50 f1.8 recently for several reasons:

a) It will force me to think more about composition

b) It will force me to move my feet, somthing I seem to forget to do with a zoom lens

c) It's heaps faster than my zooms so I can shoot in different kinds of light without camera shake or flash

d) It was the cheapest lens in the Canon range so it seemed worth a gamble

An added benefit I didn't realise at the time is how much lighter a 50mm prime is than a zoom. I'm more inclined to keep the camera out and around my neck, I shoot vertically more - basically a whole different style of photography. I'm enjoying mine already and I hope you do too.

Mike,

The creative ability of this lens is largely widened by having an extra 3 F-stops. It is wicked fast!!!

If I were you, I would take a couple of pics of your wife with the 28-105mm (which is a great consumer grade zoom!! I have one...) @ 50mm stopped down to f4, then take a couple with the 50 1.4 stopped down to f1.4. This will give you a visual of what the different apperature settings look like on film.

BTW, the 50 1.4 is one of my favorite portrait lenses. It is great if you are shooting indoors, and it makes for an intimate atmosphere.

Just my $.02,