Lost a girlfriend/need a lens

richard_lyman1

<p>I am just happy to have one camera, never the less two. The set of lens you have is good for what you need it for. I have the same set up, but with one camera and works for me. Next work on finding another girlfriend who is more understanding. But first I get rid of the both cameras you have and replace it with a good used Canon 1d Mark III, then I take the extra cash and buy my new girlfriend a Canon G10 0r G11, so she does not feel left out and will be more understanding towards your hobby. I also would send her some roses and leave my gear at home when going on dates unless she suggests you bring it. It would be sad to have a unhappy heart with no wife and no family. If you are series about find a new girlfriend I would set my priorities now before you get serious with another girl such is get and be happy with all the gear you need because when once you are married it going to be very hard to when you have lots of obligations for your new girlfriend/wife to make sure see is happy and stays married to you. </p>

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>"...and leave my gear at home when going on dates...".....NO NO NO. As far as I'm concerned being without a camera is the 8th deadly sin ;-)</p>

<p>but yeah, maybe a DSLR is a bit much.....buy your self a nice Ricoh GRD III....fits in your pocket and she'll never know you have it.....until it's too late...........heh</p>

<p>Welllll, I am a female photog, and had similar problem in the past (i.e. with a male boyfriend/business partner), and while I am sorry for your problems with the girlfriend.... The Tamron is an excellent lens, but like a few others have stated on here....you can get the same effect with cropping or just moving a few steps closer to your subject.... anyhow....<br>

A. My camera is faithful<br>

B. It is there when ever I need it<br>

C. It is only as expensive as I choose it to be, when I buy it new lenses or gizmos<br>

D. It doesn't leave the toilet seat up in the middle of the night (ker-sploosh)<br>

E. It doesn't get drunk and pass out when I want to go somewhere<br>

F. It doesn't lie, cheat on me, or steal<br>

G. I Love my cameras!</p>

<p>If she left over that I'm sure that the lens will make you happier :)<br /> <br /> If you don't mind going DX to use on your 50D, Tamron has a new 17-50 f/2.8 w/ Vibration Compensation (their IS) coming out soon w/ a very reasonable price tag. From the examples I've seen its very sharp.<br /> <br /> This would leave you a few bucks for all of those future dates you'll be going on now that you're back on the market.</p>

<p>Why don't you trade your 17-40 f/4 for a 16-35 f/2.8 and use it on your 50D when you need the middle focal range? That way you go to B&H to spend a grand on a new L glass without really spending that much to forget your girlfriend. You will fill the empty gap, will have 2.8 all over the range, and will gain an extra mm at the wide end...</p>

<p>Glen Arie, Keith oues you guys a beer - That was spot on funny as hell and totally appropriate!<br>

Stacia youre a brave lass jumping into this wild fire and from that I deduct that you shoot Nikon. The guys are only exploiting a sense of humor. but fair dues to you, perhaps give Thomas a shout I suspect that he may tick a few of your requirements, more than me, but less than you require. hey ho!</p>

<p>Keith I would do two things:<br>

1> Wait a while, save up and get the 24-70L with one of those you'll be able to pick up women you want and respond well to standing in front of the lens.<br>

2> If youre feeling lonely and missing the velvety smoothness of those gorgeous bodies, and want to stare longingly onto deep blue eyes: Go to B&H and handle the 300 f2.8, its every sensation you could ever want, and I could swim in that lens.</p>

<p>Cheers G</p>

<p>P.S.<br>

(Oh and by the way you lasses must get used to looking where you back in and drop trou If there was a chap seated there you would be surprised - And It takes more effort to raise the seat than to lower it, so perhaps you should start leaving it upright, conserves energy thats ecological efficiency for you)</p>

<p>Thomas - yes, Canon, Minolta Dimage, and Minolta SLR<br>

Graham - That is totally hilarious, and you have a point there!<br>

Alin - Nooooo, I am not sexist at all, just remembering those late nite ventures, half asleep and getting a surprise ;=)</p>

<p>You need to be sure you have the correct mount. Be aware that there are different kinds of mounts. No problem if you have a Canon, but for off-brands it may be stuck wide-open when you fire your shutter. This is okay in dim light but you don't wanna try that in bright daylight, it looks nasty. Good thing that the off-brands supply a hood for free.</p>

<p>I agree that you already have what you need, but if you specifically want a mid range zoom then I will second the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I did try two copies of the Canon 24-70L, but both had problems. The Canon is also quite heavy, and without IS I struggled with it. The Tamron is so light that hand holding is much easier. It has a different character to my Canon 'L' lenses, it has a deeper, more contrasty IQ which a lot of people like. It is also a very sharp lens. Some recent examples are here: <a href="http://lindsaydobsonphotography.blogspot.com/2009/09/wakehurst-place.html">http://lindsaydobsonphotography.blogspot.com/2009/09/wakehurst-place.html</a></p>

<p>Incidentally all the other shots on the blog were taken with the 24-105L, which is a fantastic general purpose outdoor lens.</p>

<p>Another more creative idea would be to go for the Canon 15mm 2.8 wide angle lens. Although it's minimally different on paper compared to your 17-40, the photos come out WAY different. Not too pricey, either. Just the kind of change you want when you're changing girlfriends, a creative change.</p>

<p>Richard,<br>

Well, I can tell you that straw was the fact that she was still "girlfriend" after <em><strong>5</strong> <strong>years</strong> </em> , not necessarily the camera gear. My wife understands this is my hobby and it makes me happy to go out and create some artwork.<br>

As for a lens recommendation, well, that's what I red the post for also.</p>

<p>I had the Sigma EX 24-70 f2.8. Nice lens, good performance, no problems. I used it for different types of photography and was pleased across the board.</p>

<p>I then purchased a Canon 24-70 f2.8L and gave the Sigma to my son. He likes it. And I really like the Canon. It may be heavier but I prefer a "substantial" feel to my equipment, as I have big "paws." It would be nice if Canon built stabilization into the 24-70 (and it may well be coming in the II series of this lens that will be out soon) but I get great photos out of it as is.</p>

<p>With the next girlfriend, if you just tell her that 'the equipment comes first,' she'll spare you 5 years of waiting and will dump you a lot quicker. :-)</p>

<p>Listen to Billy Joel and Ray Charles' version of "My Baby Grand," and maybe you'll get over the girlfriend in a hurry.</p>

<p>As for me, although I'm really into photography, my cameras and lenses don't "hug" me or keep me warm. I think I'll stick with the wife - as long as she'll have me. :-)</p>

<p>I have gaps too - and 'need' a macro and a 28/35mm, but will try to make do with what I have now rather than run the risk of (further) spoiling the relationship with my girlfriend due to 'super multi coated' selfishness.<br /> Thanks for the heads-up. Good luck, Richard.</p>