K-7 -- something moving inside

dshombert

<p>When I hold my K-7 in my hand and rotate it into (and out of) portrait orientation, I hear something moving inside - a barely audible sliding sound and a very soft "thunk". A friend's K20 does the same thing, only it's quieter. Is this normal? Is it the sensor moving, or possibly the vertical position sensor? Power on or off, makes no difference. Everything seems to work fine, I'm just curious.</p>

<p>I think what you are referring to is the noise made by the device used for detecting the camera orientation (so it knows if you hold it horizontally or vertically). It's probably based on some small weight shifting out of place and making a different contact. The K10 also has it.</p>

<p>I had always assumed it was the sensor carriage; similar clunky noises are made when it powers up with self-cleaning. I'm surprised to hear that others attribute it to an orientation sensor; these are common in compacts and even devices like iphones; in neither case do we normally hear clunky noises.</p>

<p>I'm wondering if anyone with a K100D, K100D Super, or K2000/K-m has observed the loose-item noises as these have SR but no orientation sensor.</p>