Post Processing, Equipment or Technique?

chris_beck2

<p>Karina, I appreciate all the time you have taken to give me tips to consider the day of, capturing the emotion of the day, and both being with the couple and distant enough to capture real moments, these are all suggestions I will take with me to every event hereforth.<br>

David, you shouldve seen me nod at the screen when I got to the part of your post where you said:<br>

'This can hurt your confidence which you already show a slight lack of. I say this cause you seem to be unsure about your work and what you are trying to accomplish. Be confident. Your work is very good, so be proud of it. Confidence goes a long way when making great images.'<br>

because I do get luke warm responses and my confidence is a little shaken. I'm putting myself out there, but I don't want to be the guy who can capture a really nice snapshot. Your words of encouragement was the great lift I needed. Thank you for that.<br>

David, thank you as well for your contribution and continuing to check in. You hit the answer to the question I was looking for on the head. But amazingly everyone elses contributions helped in so many different ways. The Yervant actions look like what is being used, but after this, I may just keep plugging away at my own style. Thank you for your interest and help with this post.<br>

This is the first post on this community and I am floored by the real help thats availble by contributors. I will surely continue to post here, and hopefully help other people down the line.<br>

Thank you again.</p>

<p>Hi Chris, You're welcome. I am sure I will get help from you at some stage also. It's all about sharing, and it is a great community for that, which I am sure you will contribute greatly to. </p>

<p>Re the confidence thing: you should be proud of your work - as I said, it is lovely. I only wrote what I did because you said you wanted to take a journey with your work (as we all do - we are all always learning and growing - well hopefully anyway), and so I was brainstorming with you, and not because I felt your work was not good (I know you weren't referring to my comments, I am just saying this because I do think you should be very confident). Perhaps one way not to have your confidence shaken is to be proud of what you do (which you should be!) and from that position, see your process of asking questions or opening yourself to new possibilities as simply being on the journey (like all artists) of always refining your vision. That is something any artist will do for the rest of their lives as part of the act of creating, and not something that means you are 'less than', or a snapshot-shooter. Framing it like that to yourself may make it easier to be able to bounce around ideas with colleagues such as people on this board, without letting the process decrease your confidence. You take much more than snapshots, so never think that! You are a colleague chatting to colleagues about the journey - that need never shake your confidence. You will contribute as much as you learn I am sure.</p>

<p>Chris, suck it up man ... your work is excellent. </p>

<p>I think to copy someone else would be to lose your own way. Some trendy post technique isn't going to make you better, nor is some different lens ... you are going to make yourself better. Look at your work, and which images you feel really good about ... figure out why, and then shoot more of those type shots.</p>

<p>It's easy to get distracted by someone else's approach, and then start to "Frankinstein" your own approach. Granted, it's always a good thing to experiment, however do it on your own terms not someone else's. Then you can goof around with post techniques and even try a new lens ... but you'll know exactly why ... because you invented the "why". </p>

<p>Hi Chris, I am not wedding photografer, can't give you advise on how to recognize moment, but as for washed out glowing whites, sharpening and reduced saturation it is easy. Most guys using "on One" Phototools plug in for photoshop that's it, no secrets here.</p>

<p>You're welcome Chris. I had the feeling that was your issue. All photographers go thru phases where they question their work. Its what drives us to get better cause there is always room for improvement. The ones that never question themselves are the ones who are stagnent and can never pickup anything new that may help them, even though they dont think they need it.</p>

<p>There is absolutley nothing wrong with trying new techniques etc. If you want to try something new, do so in a non risk kinda way to see if you like it. But only do so to please yourself with your work, not to keep up with the crowd or becasue you think that your work should look like everyone elses.</p>

<p>This is the biggest misconception in photography. Everyone elses work doesnt necessarilly mean theirs is the only way, or the correct way.</p>

<p>Again, you do great work, keep doing what you are doing. Always try new techniques(but dont try to copy style) to improve your versatility. Thats what technique is all about. Learning new ways to handle all sorts of lighting situations etc. Those are "real" tools and improvements. Its amazing at how different I feel walking into all sorts of lighting challenges now from when I started. Over the years, I picked up new ways/methods of handleing it and so now, many situations dont make me panic like they used too. Although, last week I had one that came close....but I was able to over come it and make the best of it.<br>

The Bride wanted all lights off, only twinkle lights and over head chandalier was to be half dimmed. The result was ISO 3200 f2.8 1/30 for correct exposure. Flash would have helped, but mixing it from my position with existing stage lights(wedding at civic center) would have looked horrible with shadows, color mix....you name it, flash just wasnt the answer. So the wedding was at 4pm, I wasnt required to start until 2pm. So, at 9am....on my own time, I arrived at the civic center, got on the tallest ladder I've ever been on and adjusted those stage lights to be where I coud make the best of them. Set up on tripod, went live view and manul focus the shot and fired away with a remote release using available light. It was the best I could do given her request.</p>

<p>Being hung up on a "style" would have rendered me unable to make pictures because it would have required proper lighting....she didnt want proper lighting. She wanted the "mood" and lighting be damned. So, this is why I had to put forth my own efforts to make changes. No one else would have cared how my images turned out, just work with what you have.....which you seem to be able to do quite well. A photoshop plugin for a "look" wouldnt help in these situations, they only alter good images to start with.</p>

<p>Glad I was able to help in whatever way I did Chris. Keep it up, and I look forward to seeing more of your work, its nice to look at.</p>