Pricing Question. Please help.

jesse_starr

<p>I am going to be doing my first paid wedding and I am trying to figure out how much to charge. The wedding is in Denver and will take place next june.<br /> These are the details the couple gave me:<br /> Wedding would start @ 5:30 and end at 10:30 and we would want coverage for the whole time.<br /> We would want to knock out the 5-10 formal shots before the ceremony, I can give you a list of which shots we need, but we really want only a few.<br /> We would like to know what an option for about one hour of rehearsal dinner would run.<br /> I know you said that you might want a second shooter, but we are looking at about 50-75 people, do you still think that would be necessary?<br /> <br /> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<br /> Thanks</p>

<p>So you figure that it's about 7 (6 day of and one at rehersal) hours or so of shooting, and then another seven hours of editing (give or take) and then maybe another 3 hours for administrative stuff. So about 17 hours of work total (really guessing here).<br>

What's your overhead like for your Web site, your gear and all of that?</p>

<p>First wedding and no one has discussed pricing? Hmmm?</p>

<p>Well; one of the easiest ways to do this for you would be the $$$/HR rate.<br>

In other words, what is your time worth per hour?...or what is the minimum you'<br>

d work for?</p>

<p>If your goal is to start your portfolio, perhaps you are willing to work cheap.</p>

<p>I would think your #1 concern if you plan on doing more weddings, is getting this shoot as perfect as you can for your own benefit. Again, if you are going to shoot on the cheap, let's say a few hundred bucks, make sure you give them the $1,500 treatment.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses so far guys. I have been shooting for a couple of years and have done a mix of work. My event photography is pretty much limited to high school reunions and a couple of parties. I shoot with pro level equipment and am comfortable in fast paced environments. My plan was to start second shooting for someone before offering wedding photography but someone saw my website, loved my style, and asked me if I'd do their wedding; knowing that I have not done a project that large before.<br>

Based off the help of a friend who is a somewhat established wedding photog, I have created a price list.<br>

The basic package is 600 and includes all photos posted on my zenfolio and one complimentary 8x10 b+g print. I also put together a couple of print packages and album options. The couple informed me that they are interested mainly in a CD of the images and I priced that at 300 because my friend said that giving them the CD usually means you lose out on prints, which is your big profit center.<br>

What do you guys think of these prices?<br>

You can take a look at some of my work at www.jdstarrphotography.com</p>