Hi

I have just got the opportunity to bye some fujica gl 690 gear, but I

am uncertain of the quality of these old lenses. I also have the

impression that the camera body are prone to mechanical failure,

especially the film winder mechanism.

Does any of your have experience with, or comments to, this camera

and lenses.

Kim

I own a G690BL, which is the older Fuji interchangeable lens rangefinder. The standard 100mm lens is (I believe) a Tessar design, is quite sharp and gives nice tonality, particularly with black and white film. I also own a 180mm lens for this camera, but have not had a chance to use it much. The roll or two of slide film I have run through it has shown similar results, but revealed that my rangefinder was not properly adjusted. This has since been resolved by Camera Wiz in Harrisonburg, VA, who are willing to work on these cameras at reasonable rates. I just received it back and will be shooting more film soon. I do not (yet) have the 65mm lens, and there's also a rumor of a 50mm and 250mm lens existing for this camera as well. The body that I have did not have any problems other than the aforementioned rangefinder inaccuracy...film wind seems fine. If you're thinking of the Fuji as a big Leica, then you're mistaken. It's not nearly as nice ergonomically or finish-wise...it's quite a large camera, so if you have small hands it may be difficult to handle. I would call it serviceable, nothing more, but the lenses are extraordinarily good (as is the case with the more modern Fuji rangefinders). Hope this helps.

Hi from Holland!

I own a Fuji GL 690 BL and I am very happy with it. They used to call it the Texas Leica, because it's big and of good quality. And indeed, the quality is very high, and the optical quality in terms of resolution, contrast and color balance are really excellent. I have no experience with rangefinder inaccuracies, but then again I use (and own) only the standard 1:3.5/100mm lense. Slides and negatives come out brilliant and razor-sharp. A very nice and robust camera, I use it for landscapes and critical portraits.

Hope this helpes.

Regards,

Andre La Pierre

• 5 months later...

I have the Fujinon 65mm and 100mm lenses. They are excellent. I have heard from old-timers that the film winders are just about the only thing that breaks on the Fujica G690, but I personally have never had a problem with any of the Fuji bodies I have owned. I HAVE had problems with Pentax 6x7 winders.

To complete my system, I am looking to buy the remaining Fujinon telephoto lenses: if anyone has these lenses (150mm and 180mm) for sale, or knows of a dealer that might have them, please post a reply. These lenses are hard to find and I am stumped as to where to go next.

Andy Colvin

Seattle

• 3 months later...
andy may need this info.there is 6 lenses known for the G690's.a 50mm f5.6, a 65mm F8, 100mm f3.5, 150mm f5.6 180mm f5.6 and a 250mm f5.6.it is my understanding that the 50 and 250 were made for the foreign markets so are kinda rare in america but can be found on foreign auctions like ebay australia. but can be found in shutterbug under the miscelanous sections often.