5D vs. 40D colors

landscape_shooter

<p>Hi, I just got a 5D (I already have a 40D). I really like the bigger viewfinder and they way my primes are on it. One thing I am wondering about is the color compared to the 40D. It seems more subdued and muted with the exact same camera settings. Some photos kind of have almost like a color cast that the 40D didn't. Are the white balance settings and picture styles different between the two even though they have the same names? Or is the 5D just different in the way it produces the photos? The colors just don't pop the way they the 40D's photos look. The 40D's colors looked pretty accurate right out of the camera. I was shooting outdoors, portraits and landcapes, birds all in the same place I shot at just the other day in similar conditions with the 40D. Is the 5D aimed more for alot of post processing or am I missing something? One other thing, is it usual for the 5D to take a looooong time to transfer photos to your computer with the cable? Waaaaay slower than the 40D? Thanks like always for helping me.</p>

<p>Hiya,<br>

I don't have a 40D but do have a 450D and 5D. I am not 100% sure what may cause the problem. But for sure the 5D produces different images compared to the 40D. If im right, the 5D should have a larger dynamic range . . and in my experience it produces more vivid colors and allow more tweaking in the RAW files, it also "pops" more and look more "3D".</p>

<p>Also, it is known that the 5D preview screen is not that good . . . so don't use that as a reference. Furthermore, it can be expected that different type of camera's produce different image outputs due to metering, and the different used DIGIC processors etc.</p>

<p>Do you have an example image from the two cameras? (using same settings, etc.)</p>

<p>About the transfering speed, you might try to use a card reader and see if it goes faster.</p>

<p>I wondered much the same thing about my 30D and 5D2. Was the 5D2 different in color rendering all other things held constant? I did a careful test and compared equal crops from the same scene using the same lens, same ISO, same conversion software. The result was that the two were effectively indistinguishable.</p>

<p>The 40D does have 14 bit processing (allowing for more color variations) and Digic 3 processor where the 5D has 12 bit and a Digic 2 processor. These factors will make "some" difference in the output but probably not a night and day amount. For a fair comparison reset both cameras to the factory default settings and take some sample shots. You might have something adjusted in a setting that is causing the color differences.</p>

<p>Hi Shooter, I have owned a 5D for just over a year, in fact i just bought a second 5D body as backup. I am sure the picture styles have something to do with the vibrancy and saturation. The settings for Neutral and Faithfull do tend to look a bit flat The colour space I use is always Adobe 1968 which has a broader spectrum. Something else I always do is under expose by about a stop to a stop and a half. That way you are assured of good colour saturation. The whites are less likely to be blown.<br>

As to uploading the shots to the computer I always use a USB card reader via Canon's Zoom Browser programe that comes with the camera. Another programe that gets overlooked is DPP another Canon app.. It's said to process RAW files better than Photoshop but I have found that the workflow is a little clunky.<br>

Gerald Harris</p>

<p>I've owned many EOS bodies, including the 40D and 5D, and each one is a little different. To get the "look" I like, I needed to learn to tweak both camera parameters and post processing to my taste. With that said, I preferred the 5D rendering of color over the 40D. It also required a little less post processing to hit the sweet spot.</p>

<p>But yeah, if the 5D out needs a goose for your taste, don't hesitate to diddle the parameters. Canon makes it easy.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter