Telephoto lens for Contax 645

charles_wurst2

I suppose we all know that Contax started with two telephoto lenses for the 645 from the beginning: 140mm/f2.8 and 210mm/f4 plus a 120mm/f4 makro, so it isn't like they have no telephoto at all.

I would imagine that they'll add a telephoto zoom, a 1.4x and/or a 2x teleconvertor and perhaps a longer telephoto. Leaf-shutter lenses for flash portrait/wedding should be a priority as well. I personally would like to see a 55mm, which IMO is better than the 80mm for landscape work. To Chris Lee, when you mentioned two zooms and three leaf-shutter lenses, do you know the specific focal-lengths? Are the zooms going to be Zeiss or another brand?

2x ? I doubt it. 2x is only good for long lens. 210/4 + 2x = 420/8. I think f/8 is just too dark for AF. Note that neither Nikon, Canon, Pentax....make an AF lens slower than f/5.6. How about 140/2.8? 140/2.8+2x=280/5.6 I would just go get a 210/4 for that focal length. The next logical tel-lens is 300/4 and it is going to be very expensive. 300/4 + 1.4x = 420/5.6 <== that is a good combination.

First of all, I am not saying that Contax will definitely add a 2x TC soon. Generally speaking, I am not a big fan of 2x TCs to begin with. However, both Hasselblad and Rollei have 1.4x and 2x TCs for their medium-format cameras and so do Canon and Nikon for their 35mm AF cameras. You may not have AF any more after adding a 2x TC or at least AF could be pretty slow, but that doesn't preclude Contax from introducing a 2x TC. For example, you don't have AF with the 120mm/f4 makro lens either.

I do think a 1.4x TC may be more useful though, especially since they usually don't degrade the lens quality much.

The macro lens is just to complete the range of lens. If Zeiss is able to place 2 huge linear motors (one for apertre, one for shutter) in zeiss 110/2 for rollei, they are probably know how to add AF for 120/4 macro. (IMHO:When shooting in close range, the effective aperture is no longer f/4. Maybe the AF has difficulty doing its job?) Besides, I won't use AF with macro lens either. The first I do when shooting macro is turn off the AF, and I mount the camera on the tripod. Only reason to buy Contax 645 is for its AF (ignor the removeable finder and back for now); otherwise, one could just use Hasselblad/Rollei for people want to use zeiss lenses.

From what I have heard, the 3 leaf shutter lenses include a 90mm and a

180mm. The other one is a wide angle, but I don't know its focal

length. (Most likely around 55mm, I guess.) All three lenses will have

a maximum sync speed of AT LEAST 1/1000s.

The two zooms include a 80-160mm. The other one is a longer 2x zoom.

Also in the works are a battery adapter, and a 45-degree prism finder.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...