New Canon EOS 7D

obelix

<p>Has anyone used the new EOS 7D?<br /> <br /> I know it's just out (1st September), specs are awesome!<br /> <br /> Just don't understand why it's named EOS 7D and not EOS 60D. The reason behind that is that it's not full frame, it sounds more like an upgrade to the 50D, although the SRP is €1600.<br /> <br /> Either way, I will soon be owning one.</p>

<p>Yeap I agree with Giampi this in clrarly no upgrade to 50D since the 20D there have been complaints to following upgrades 30D, 40D and 50D that there was not enough of a deference same question was asked is it worth it to upgrade to xxD to xxD. Well it looks like those days are over. This is a brand new camera with so much new tech aimed to compete head to head with Nikon D300s. This is clearly a new category hence the new name 7D for a crop sensor. It looks like we got what we asked for faster shooting rate, 1D focusing and better image cuslity. Waiting for reviews to see how it performs but on paper it looks better than Nikon D300s. <br /> Sergio</p>

<p>Speculation: right now Canon has 'split' the Digital Rebel line between 2 classes, if you will: the XS and the 450 & 500. The same could be happening with the XXD line.<br>

By the same token, it is possible that from now on the 7D will be the upper level of the xxD line so, you will get a 60D but it will cost less and have less features than the 7D. </p>

<p>It looks like a new product line to me, too. Consider (and yes, there were variations at various times, and different naming schemes in different parts of the world, so this table is certainly a generalization rather than something precise):</p>

<table border=1>

<tr><th>Market segment</th><th>Film bodies</th><th>Digital bodies</th></tr>

<tr><td>Entry-level</td><td>Rebel family (EOS xxxx/xxx)</td><td>Digital Rebel family (xxxD)</td></tr>

<tr><td>Advanced amateur</td><td>Elan familiy (EOS xx)</td><td>xxD family</td></tr>

<tr><td>Semi-pro</td><td>EOS 5/A2/A2e, EOS 3, etc.</td><td>Nothing*</td></tr></table>

<p>*: that is, unless you're willing to pay the big price increment to go full-frame, and possibly also have to burn through still more money to rebuild your lens collection to suit the range of fields of view you need for full frame instead of 1.6-crop.</p>

<p>The 7D fits a market segment that was serviced during the film days but has been only partially serviced in the digital days. I think this is a new model line; the 7D will have its successors in the future, separate from the 50D's successors.</p>

<p>As for the original poster's question, well, a few review sites have used it. Since Canon says it won't be delivered to dealers until late September, there aren't likely to be many members of the general public who've used it yet.</p>

<p>Why the naming above the 5D or 5DMkII with a 1.6 crop sensor does not make sense. Maybe a 60D+ or a different naming convention so as not to interfere with the 5D series.<br>

Wonder just how sharp the 18MP images will be? One of the complaints of the 50D is that the images, before processing, are not as sharp as the 40D.</p>

<p>Concerning the naming, Canon appears to differentiate their camera lines based on the number of digits, not the actual number. For instance, the lower-level cameras have 3 digits, ie 400D, 450D, etc., the next step up have 2-digit names, such as 40D, and 50D, while the next step up have single-digit names, 5D, 7D, 1D.</p>

<p>In the single-digit series, the lower number should be the better camera. So, the 1D should be the top-of-the-line, followed by the 5D, and then the 7D. If canon were to ever release a 3D, following this logic, it should stand to reason that it would be better than the 5D, but not as good as the 1D.</p>

<p>When viewed from this perspective, I think that giving this camera the 7D number makes sense, as it appears to be in Canon's semi-pro line (hence the lack of scene modes) but not quite as good as the 5D.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>I'm hoping the 7D will actually be an improvement over the 50D. I traded "up" from 40D to 50D, and have regretted it ever since. 50D high ISO noise is worse, IQ is no better, but it does have some nice menu options. If the 7D can resolve noise/IQ issues, I'll gladly take the $ hit to trade again.</p>