<p>I'm in my college's DSLR class, and noticed that we also have a nice film scanner in the classroom; when I asked the professor about it, I believe he said that it was the Hasselblad X1, and was very delighted that I am interested in using it (there aren't very many students bothering to do film here).</p>

<p>It's hooked up to a recent Mac that is equipped with a 13x19 photo printer, but I'm not quite sure of the printer brand. What I'd like to know is, how is the quality of these scanners? I'm really excited to be using this (without having to pay, may I add...) and the professor will be teaching me how to operate it next week.</p>

<p>That's really an Imacon Flextight, which was merged in with Hassy a while back. VERY nice units, probably the best thing short of a drum scan They are high-end CCD scanners that work by bending the negatives into a predictable, curved path with a flexible film holder. The scanner then scans the media on it's curved path to virtually eliminate the biggest problem with scanners, film that isn't flat. The only real sure-fire way to get flat negatives is via fluid mounting or similar glass process.<br>

IIRR, they were basically made in two versions, one which was $5-6k and one $15k. The prices have moved around over the years.<br>

Used, I see them for $3-7k.<br>

Skip</p>