Canon 16-35mm II Lens and Filter Vignette

david choo

<p>I just tested mine - I don't have 2 screw on 82mm full size filters as I use a B&W narrow skylight. With a narrow and standard it vignettes at about 22mm but really only becomes an issue at about 18mm. If I had two standrad size 82mm filters i expect that I would get the same result as Puppy - 24mm. <br>

You can use a standard circular pol by itself and there is a slight vignette at 16mm. You cannot use Cokin P series - I have the use the Cokin Z I bought for my Fuji GX680 MF (82, 95, 112 mm lenses). I am going to try a wide angle Cokin P hoder from Jinfinance on the internet as this may solve the problem. The standard Cokin P holder has the edges of the holder in the shot!. This is a real nuiscence as I have a nice compact Cokin P series wallet with all my filters which is great with SLRs or 645. The Z series stuff is large an a pain if i am out hiking or climbing.</p>

<p>Vignette with a standard polarizer at 16mm?! Wow... that's good information to know. Guess I have to purchase slim polarizer and slim stackable filters.<br>

I don't remember the I series of this lens doing this. What an odd design.<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>I always get vignette with my 17-40mm f/4L at 17mm on a FF body. This lens has 77mm filter thread, same as the 16-35mm f/2.8L I. The II version has 82mm thread, and for sure it'll have vignette with double stacking. On the 17-40mm, no apparent vignetting if there is no stacking.</p>

<p>The slim filter version, as far as I know, will not allow stacking, because it has only one-side thread.</p>

<p>I didn't vignette with a regular thickness polarizer on my 16-35mm I lens... didn't realize you would vignette with a regular polarizer on the II lens. <br>

What a strange way to build a lens. Can anyone confirm a regular polarizer will cause vignetting at 16mm on the II lens?<br>

Hey Tien... they actually do make slim filters with front threads... expensive but they are made. I just wish I didn't have to spend $200 a filter.</p>

<p>Maybe slim filters with threads are a little thicker though?</p>

<p>This is one area where shopping locally and trying the filter is worthwhile. Though, it would be very nice to develop a database of what vignettes, and when. Sounds like a project for The-Digital-Picture.</p>

<p>Thanks David. I used the slim filters before. Nice, but expensive and not suitable for me, who have many lenses with different thread sizes. I've always wanted ideally a UV + a CP and a grad in front of a lens. Due to vignetting, I had to take off the UV and later the CP. Recently, I bought the Cokin CP, and try to use the CP + grad in a Cokin X-Pro, so that I will have to screw in only the filter holder adapter. I heard that the Cokin CP is not that good. I don't know. I have to try out.</p>