Excess play in Summicron lens?

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I just bought a M6TTL and 35mm asph lens. The lens goes to f2.0 but seems to have some spare turning beyond 2.0.</p>

<p>Is this normal? It's strange because every lens I have had, you can rack the lens all the way wide open without having<br>

to visibly check where the 2.0 mark is. This one seems to have a bit of excess play with the aperture blades.</p>

<p>Is this normal for a Leica lens? It's my first so I don't know. The dealer tells me its in 'as new' condition and that it's perfect,<br>

but I'm not so sure.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Yes, some Leica lenses do this. I believe it is so that Leica can place the aperture blades exactly, so that f/2.0 on the aperture ring corresponds to a true f/2.0. But yes, it is normal and not something to worry about unless it is very loose or goes way beyond the f/2. Other lenses do it at the small end of the aperture scale as well. </p>

<p>I just checked the lens again and something doesn't look right.</p>

<p>When I look through the film side of the lens, the aperture does not look round. It looks 'almost' round with the aperture blades in the way.<br>

Does f2.0 = full round opening? <br>

This doesn't make sense. It feels like a lemon and I don't have confidence that I can rack it to f2.0 without visual checking.<br>

Paul/Stuart - are you saying that the soft play in the lenses are standard for Leica lenses? <br>

I'm thinking I should just take it back to the dealer once the bank holiday is over.<br>

<br /> Btw - how much would a good price be for a mint/as new 1999-2000 year old S/N 35mm asph? I can't tell if I've overpaid or not because there are so many different types of these 35mm summicron lenses.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>I can't work out how to upload a photo. The aperture is definitely not round at f2.0.<br>

There is also some play at the f16.0 end. When turning the aperture ring to both extremes - f2.0 to f16.0, there is a little extra looseness on either side. The aperture blades do briefly contract down a bit more, so I won't be definitely getting f2.0 or f16.0 unless I double check.<br>

There seem to be a few past posts about this problem. <br>

Thanks Colin. The thing is, every Zeiss G lens or Voigtlander lens I have, has decent aperture rings which don't have the excess play that the Leica (5x more expensive than the Voigtlander or double the Zeiss) have. For the price it seems that Leica can't get this right. I'm going to bring the lens back to the shop and get a refund. It really seems like a crapshoot to pay so much for a lens with basic mechanical quality problems.</p>

<p>My 35mm Summicron ASPH is also exactly as described - but with very positive clicks at each step. I can open it a bit beoyond f2.0 and at 2.0 the aperture blades are a little closed and not circle round. As others have noted this is as should be. </p>

<p>A bunch of L lenses I have will give a little snip past the min or max aperture click stops. Being out of round doesn't seem to make sense, I have never seen a lens do that. I'd venture a guess that if the lens and blades were messed up enough to be out of round, they wouldn't open or close.</p>

<p>One of the nice things about buying from a brick and mortar store is you can pop in and ask questions. Unless of course he's wearing a green sport coat and doesn't play golf, maybe you won't trust him...</p>

<p>As for the price you paid, it really isn't that you could have gotten the combo for less, you always can pay more. The value of your camera and lens will be the enjoyment that you receive from it, the images that you take with it, and the journeys it takes you on. In a few years, you won't even remember the price, but you will the voyages.</p>

<p>Enjoy, life is good.</p>

<p>My 4th version (pre-asph) Summicron 35mm behaves the same way. Aperture is not full round at f/2.0, there is some play beyond 2.0 and there it becomes full round (even exposure value changes). I heard the same question at another forum, too, so I think this is the way they are designed.<br>

K.</p>

<p>Well I guess everyone knows what a non-round aperture looks like lol.<br>

The price I paid for it is enough to make me weep, especially for a non-round aperture at $1850. How much extra is that little rectangular hood going to set me back?<br>

Michael - I have a few rangefinders which I take on travels. This one will make sure I don't go travelling far anywhere anytime soon!</p>

<p>Any photos of your non-round aperture Koray. It seems weird to design an aperture non-round. Maybe that is why people say that the v4 is the bokeh king? Hmmm.</p><div>00UNy9-169483584.jpg.4641805888c6a5c919c57313d9a568ff.jpg</div>

<p>Mightn't a perfectly round aperture appear non-round when photographed off-axis, as in the picture above?</p>

<p>As far as the play in the aperture ring, my 35 Cron ASPH's ring moved slightly beyond f/2, and so I called Dave Elwell at Leica to find out if that was normal. He said it was. Relieved, I've used the lens for 5 years without a problem. It's a stellar performer.</p>

<p>Sigh.<br>

It looks like that before photographing, no matter what axis I look at it from.<br>

Compared to a Zeiss lens, the Zeiss lenses have perfect full apertures with the blades out of the way of the opening. Same with the Voigtlander lenses.<br>

It's just Leica. And it has to be my first Leica lens too.<br>

Although what you're saying about the lens gives some comfort. Lol. I was going to return it to the shop and ask them to sort out the aperture for me otherwise I wouldn't buy it :)</p>