70-200 f/2.8 whistling noise?

mizuho_saito

<p>Okay it's me again. After I refunded my 24-70 f/2.8 I decided to go with the 70-200 f/2.8 instead since the 24-70 was out of stock again. I will eventually get both, but after re-evaluating my needs I will probably use the 70-200 much more for the time being. So I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8 from B&H and yet again I may have run into a slight defect. I find that when I auto focus from infinity to near the AF makes a high pitch whistling noise. I'm pretty sure that this is not supposed to happen, but was wondering if anybody else has seen this action before. I seems to be to only been when the auto focus focuses quickly and the noise is due to friction? I guess I'm just having bad luck. I defineately need this lens for next weekend and was wondering if anybody knows if this is infact a defect and if B&H will cross ship me an exchange or should I just RMA it after my event since I have 15 days to return/exchange it? The auto focus is quick and doesn't seem to have any sides effects from this noise? It's just the noise is a little noisy and I don't want to have problems in the future with the lens. In the linked video the noise actually isn't that loud, it's just the camera was a little close but it is definately noticeable when I have my eye up to the viewfinder. I already know about the click and whirling noise of the VR and that doesn't bother me as much as the high pitch whistling. I will exchange this lens for another one, but was wonder if anybody else has had this problem and has exchanged with B&H before and how smooth their experience was with them.</p>

<p>

<p>My 70-200 sounds about the same as yours, but I don't hear a high-pitched whistling in your video or from my own lens. More a medium-pitched whirring. (May be my hearing. When it was tested a few years ago, the graph line dropped like a cliff at higher frequencies.)</p>