need flash for D40

kjherrera

<p>Hi,<br>

It's time I bought a decent flash from my Nikon D40. I'd like to get something I can use off-camera (with a cord - I don't think I need to go wireless right now). I'm thinking in the $100 range. Any help is appreciated! :)<br>

Thanks,<br>

-Kristin</p>

<p>I'd stretch a little more than that, and get the SB-600, if you can. Its ability to still work as an on-camera bounce source when you have the camera in a vertical orientation will prove to be important to you along the way. The SB-28 cable (around $40) will get you off-camera a bit.</p>

<p>

<p>The SB-400 is a perfect match size and weight wise to the D40, is within your budget and and is designed to work perfectly with your camera. It will be easy for you to handle with your camera and give you excellent results, especially if your turn your AUTO ISO on and set your ISO to ISO 200. and you will get photos that look great.</p>

<p>While the SB-600 does have the ability to swivel (which is necessary for getting nice shots while holding the camera vertically (portrait orientation) and has a bit more power, it will make your camera noticeably heavier and may become uncomfortable to hold after a short period of time unless you add a battery grip.</p>

</p>

<p>I have a 17-55mm lens and the SB-800 mounted to my D40 and don't find it really all that cumbersome. Having said that, it's nearly an entirely different camera with the small 35/1.8 and the SB-400 mounted. It really depends on what you are willing to deal with. You may try taking your D40 to a store and mounting the SB-600 on there to see how it feels. After all, in the end it just matters how it feels in YOUR hand.</p>

<p>I had a SB-400 which died on me and now have an SB-600. The SB-600 is light years ahead of the SB-400 in terms of features - controls, power, etc. Its a fantastic upgrade. However its a lot to keep on your camera all the time and hard to travel with due to size. Sometimes you just want a simple horizontal bounce (doesn't swivel in portrait mode) that provides more then the onboard flash.<br>

So I'm probably not helping a lot here, but either would be good. I love my SB-600 and everyone that says its a better flash then the Sb-400 is 100% correct. That and later on you can use it as a slave to either a higher end camera with commander mode or an SB-800/SB-900.<br>

However after owning the SB-600 I will also probably eventually pick up another SB-400 for lightweight travel on my D40. The bounce feature even though it's horizontal only is really nice and its so much smaller. For $100 you won't go wrong. For double the price you will 3x the flash capabilities though.</p>

<p>I use the SB400 for macro shots in landscape orientation (and have the cable for SB flashes and the digital Nikons); the SB600 for anything further (the SB600 focuses the flash to match the lens).<br>

The SB600 is more expensive and heavier; the SB400 is small and has fewer features, but does have on camera bounce (and if you put it on a cable, you can orient it anyway you want).<br>

If you can find a used SB30, it will work as an optical slave to the SB600 or the on camera flash, and also is very tiny and full-featured (theoretically, will work as a master flash, but I haven't figure out how to get that to work). It only works in auto thyrister mode with the D300.</p>

<p>Elliot I can't agree with you more, I get carried away sometimes. The SB-400 is a good flash and well worth $100 and within the budget Kristin (OP) mentioned. I had one and still want another one. Just pointing out the SB-600 is also a great flash and supporting what others said, but costs $200. The SB-400 has no extra features. Just an on off switch and meters automatically with the D40. Also less power, but I never found that to be an issue inside my house. I would love to hear if Kristin ends up with a SB-400 and how it works off camera with a cord.</p>

<p>Other have given some good suggestions but I'd just like to reiterate a point. I have a D40 and I also have both an SB-800 and SB-400. I use both with my D40...but for different purposes. The 600, 800, and 900 are "better" flashes than the 400 in that they are versitle and powerful. But they are not better than the 400 at being small, light, unobstrusive, and easy to take everywhere. The 400 has a different purpose than the others. I use in casual social settings when I'm just getting snapshots and I want something small and light and not indimidating to people. Even just the one directional bounce get you vastly better looking shots than direct flash.</p>

<p>The big flahes are when fast cycle, more power, and off camera use are needed. Having said that since you mention a spcific desire to use off camera I would suggest starting with at least the 600. </p>

<p>Kristin -<br>

I also have a D40 and recently purchased the SB-600. I was considering staying in the $100 range (SB-400), but figured that the 600 would be a better long term investment. Personally, I'm very happy with the results...like the flash's ability to zoom & swivel. Yes, it does add a little bit of weight, but not to the point where the camera is awkward to use. Though I have to point out that I haven't had the flash mounted for long periods of time, so perhaps getting a battery grip as Elliot suggested would be beneficial. Also, I agree with Tim's advice - take your camera to the store and see how the SB-600 feels/works for you. Best of luck!<br>

~Lori</p>