Epson R2400 - Ink spots on trailing edge of paper

<p>I have 14 month old Epson R2400 with epson inks and I'm printing b&w to Hanhemuhle Photo Rag Pearl 320g paper (with ICC profile and driver set up as per ICC profile instructions).<br>

Recently my prints have started getting ink spot on the trailing of the paper. Particularly on the top right hand corner of the print.<br>

Epson have been very unhelpful as I'm not using Epson papers! And I'm hoping somebody might have already solved this problem. Having read previous posts, is this part of the same ink wiper problem?<br>

Thanks in advance for the help!<br>

Clare</p>

<p>Have you ever had problems getting the printer to take the paper in correctly? I've had discussions with Epson last week, where they waive all responsibility in case you're using something else than their stuff, so I know the story.</p>

<p>How thick is the paper? Some Epsons eat up to 1.3mm thickness, others have difficulties. I have an R800, which is not intended for art paper at all, but will take Canson up to 270g before getting the hiccups. Nevertheless, you might, if the printer made some attempts to get the paper in, have a slight problem with the proper calibration of the printer rolls, which may cause a slight gap where ink settles in drops. I know there is cleaner paper available from Epson, which may help in case the printer heads are stained from the ink - maybe that's a first approach. You may also - if you're so courageous - try and gently (!) clean the heads and the area around with Q-Tips and 90% Isopropanol.</p>

<p>Is this only when you print on Hahnemuehle, or are you having similar problems with other paper as well?</p>

<p>If all else fails, you may have to bite that apple and turn the printer in for inspection.</p>

<p>Sometimes it spits the paper out... it's pretty thick..320gsm so this could be the root cause.. I might have to switch to something lighter which would be a shame as I love the finish. Have to say I haven't tried other papers but I have a box of ilford somwhere so I'll give that a try and then see if I can find the cleaner paper.<br>

Thanks for the advice!<br>

Clare</p>

<p>Sometimes putting a 'reverse curl' on the paper to make the trailing edge curl away from the heads as it leaves the printer is helpful. Just a slight bias downward works for some head strike problems and may work for your issue as well.</p>

<p>320's fine if you're using the right feed path (the rear single sheet feed) and there's not a curl in the leading or trailing edge.</p>

<p>You may also want to try checking the Thick Paper box as a 320gsm is most definitely thick paper—it'll increase the clearances a little more to avoid head strikes and scraping.</p>

<p>If the paper seems a little curved, try flexing it in the opposite direction before you insert to take the spring/curve out of it. I think that's especially likely with baryta-coated papers. Sometimes humidity changes and makes this necessary with my 310gsm Ilford Fibre Silk (baryta), but never even with 345gsm Museo (non baryta). I'm using a 3800.</p>

<p>Large margins may also help. I happen to like inch-wide margins (which I initial) but you might not.</p>

<p>I have experienced exactly the same problem with my printer, which is the same model as yours.<br>

I have given up using the Photo Pearl Rag, as it is apparently too thick for the machine. Eventually, my printer wouldn't even accept it. I now use use the Matte Photo Rag (only 308mg!) and it is OK.<br>

If I want Pearl or glossy papers, I stick to Moab papers which I find very good too.<br>

I also had inkspots on the trailing with some other lesser quality papers and simply stopped using them. Inkspots disappeared when using the proper kind of paper for the Epson to digest.<br>

I agree that this is very annoying. I like the Photo Pearl Rag very much too and hate wasting shheets worth that price.</p>

<p>That's for all the advice.. The waste is a total pain so I am determined to get it sorted.<br>

I'm using significant borders already (which I love) but I think I'm going to have to change papers. I will try the 'thick paper' tick first and the single page feed.. although I've never managed to get that working.<br>

John - Does the ilford fibre silk give a nice pearl finish?<br>

Is the 2800 as fussy as the 2400? <br>

Thanks again,<br />Clare </p>

<p> </p>