How is this effect acheived?

clemsonguy

<p>Hello All,<br /> The post processing affect on this image is fascinating.<br>

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=480668460c61a&date=2008-04-16%2016:57:44&id=697076&pid=6391398<br>

Does anyone have some general ideas of how it was achieved? I am sure it has a lot to do with lighting, but it almost looks like the photographer enhanced contrast, sharpness, and saturation to gain a striking combined effect.<br /> Thanks in advance.<br /> Dan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>It has been sharpened, the tell tale halows around the arms and the raised hand gives it away. I'd guess a medium sized light source to the right of the model, maybe a beauty dish (guessing from the shadows), and a small on camera flash used-- maybe as the trigger-- guessing from the specular highlights in the boots.</p>

<p>Whether a curves layer was used, there's no way to tell. I'd not be surprised if it, levels, and/or Vibrance/Saturation wasn't added on too.</p>

<p>The EXIF data of that image shows it was shot with a full frame Canon EOS 5D at 1/200s, f/11, ISO 100-17mm with a vignette added in post I imagine which the only way I could tell is viewing the image in thumbnail size.</p>

<p>I also see the tell tale signs as Nathan pointed out of some heavy but controlled sharpening but I also see something similar to using the Clarity slider in ACR applied which adds micro-contrast as seen in the hair. That hair looks like it was blown from glass.</p>

<p>The wide angle lens combined with an f/11 aperture will tend to increase depth of field so the entire model and then some are in sharp focus.</p>

<p>The full spectrum quality of the outdoor light combined with what might be semi-full spectrum diffused directional light in front of the model and a lens with good contrast can give you the clarity and contrast you see here. You're looking here of at least $4000 in equipment to get that shot and that's not including the model's fee.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the info. I'm going to run right out and get that $4000 worth of equipment, grab my favorite model and get this on film (card) for myself. Seriously, thanks for the insight.<br>

From the location of the sun, do you think they could achieve this medium sized light source effect with a large diffused reflector? It seems like the sun is in a perfect location for that.</p>

<p>I'm not a lighting expert, but from what I can tell from the strength of the shadow behind the model's head, you'ld have to have more than a reflector to get that amount of clarity and contrast.</p>

<p>It looks like they might have used a strong spot with a diffuser with maybe a softbox or one of those big square sheets in front of a strong directional flash strobe. Not sure. Someone more knowledgeable about lighting equipment could confirm what they used.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>These may be off topic. But, some things raise above just raised some questions. First, the image was taken at 17mm. Wouldn't the photographer have to have been very close to get that perspective? Wouldn't being that close have introduced some optical distortion that comes with focal lengths that small? Lastly, a "large light source" was mentioned. I'd imagine a soft box was used. How large would we be talking about?</p>

<p>I don't think the source was all that large: the shadow is hard and strong against the wall behind the head, but dithered behind the boot. Maybe a 22" Beauty dish.</p>

<p>It's 17mm on a full frame Canon 5D, but could be a crop. So I'd guess it was taken farther back and a crop: possibly while the photographer stood on something. As for the distortion, Canon makes a good prime 17mm lens that isn't as aspherical as some others out there. The center will have less distortion than the outer edges, which also leads me to believe it's a cropped shot.</p>