<p>Thanks David. Will definitely purchase the Betterscanning holder at some point. Have been wondering about Vuescan v Silverfast. I know this has been discussed here many times, but what do you see as the major 'selling point' of Vuescan? I guess either yields better results for most people than the Epson software.</p>

<p>Silverfast's pricing puts me off. I find that Epson scan tends to be quite harsh (overprocesses the data) in it's defaults. So Vuescan is a good way of getting a good unprocessed raw scan file ready for archiving and postprocessing. Vuescan will drive just about any scanner around (at no extra charge), and has some good flatbed functions (e.g. producing multipage pdfs from documents)</p>

<p>The V700 holder will take 3 6x6 frames to a side, for a total of 6 frames total. I scan with the original holders; they work well enough for 6x6 and 6x7 if you just make sure the film is decently flat before you scan.</p>

<p>Vuescan gives you very good results once you get it to do what you want, and it does some extra stuff like multiscanning that can be useful. Just be aware that the interface is quirky at best, and things like setting up multiple scans is frustrating enough that I usually give up and scan the frames one by one instead.</p>

<p>I scan 6x6 with the original holders, three frames in each slot. I use original Epsonscan software. You can do batch scanning with different settings for each of 6 frames. I learned from: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/batchscanning.html<br>

I am quite happy with the results, but be aware: scanning times are long. Scanning six slides at 2400 dpi/16 bits per channel, highest quality with ICE on quaility setting takes about 90 minutes.<br>

Regards, Marko</p>

<p>Until you get the film holder(s) from Doug Fisher, you could run tests by shimming the Epson-supplied holder. I used strips of card stock to shim up the holder, and ran a nauseating number of tests until I established where the "sweet spot" focus is. This was on my 4870.</p>

<p>Once I got the better holder, I adjusted the thing to the height I'd established, and also ran a few tests with it adjusted a little bit differently in either direction. But I ended up with precisely the same height adjustment as I'd made with the card stock; that still gives the best results.</p>

<p>Having the anti-Newton ring glass is a real treat, though. Getting the film really flat really makes a difference, and speeds things up nicely. And the film holder itself is supremely well-made.</p>

<p>Good luck and have fun!</p>