Pricing Structure for an Engagement Party?

valenda_welch

<p>Hello All,</p>

<p>I searched the archives and didn't see an answer to my question. A bride has contacted me about shooting her engagement party and I don't know what to charge.</p>

<p>Is it typical to charge your hourly wedding rate? Or, do you offer a "discounted rate," as it's not a wedding?</p>

<p>Thanks much for your help!</p>

<p>Depends.<br /> Do I get to partake with the food & wine? Makes a difference!<br /> I may do the party because I love photographing people when they are having a fun time! Lots of Smiles!<br /> Maybe I'd do just for the "rights" to use it with my business.<br /> Depends what the investment $$$'s are for the wedding.<br /> When is it & where is it?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"<em>A bride has contacted me about shooting her engagement party and I don't know what to charge." </em><br>

<em></em><br>

How do you do a contract without the pricing? If you are so new to the business that you don't know what to charge I would suggest that you do it for the experience. You'll also find previous threads on pricing weddings, baptisms, reunions, etc....</p>

<p>David - I said she contacted me, not contracted me ;) I have a wedding contract and a pricing structure for weddings. I do not have a pricing structure for engagement parties and was wondering what some of you do.</p>

<p>Bill - LOL. I wasn't asking you to do the shoot ;) Thanks for the opinion.</p>

<p>Any thoughts, anyone?</p>

<p><em>"....she contacted me, not contracted me...."</em></p>

<p>Ooooops, my bad :-)</p>

<p>You can look at prior threads about pricing weddings, baptisms, reunions, etc.... to get some ideas. Pricing structures and business models vary tremendously between markets/locations. Engagement shoots are frequently offered at no charge if you're shooting the wedding. Rehearsal dinners are frequently presented as part of a package or priced hourly.</p>

<p>You will be shooting pretty consistantly for the entire event. You won't have time to eat a canape! I would charge what I would charge per hour for one of my portrait shoots. You still have all post and there will be a million set up shots and lots of grip and grins to capture.<br>

You could offer a discount if she books you for her wedding. Or you could throw in a couple of enlargements...sweeten the deal!<br>

Good luck and Have fun!</p>