Beginner Firmware Question...

jims pictures

<p>Folks:<br>

I'm new to the digital field, so please excuse this beginner question. I see the term 'firmware' tossed about in the forums. I don't understand exactlywhat that is. I have a 5D Mark II (A beauty!) and I assume I hook up my camera to the computer and d/lod software. How do I go about doing this? I don't see it in the manual. (If it is in there just tell what page and I'll look it up.) Thanks.<br>

Jim Conklin</p>

<p>Just as a general principle, unless you are actually having problems, it's best to wait a few days after any new firmware download <strong>is posted</strong> to make sure that it doesn't introduce <em>new</em> problems of some kind. The date of the fix will usually be noted somewhere on the page. Do check frequently for such upgrades/fixes.</p>

<p>This principle also applies to fixes for software, operating systems, and perhaps the world in general. Let some other brave soul have the privilege of being what is called the "bleeding edge" of progress (as opposed to cutting edge).</p>

<p>"Software" is optional code like an application, or even an operating system, that adds functionality to a general-purpose computer. Without software, a computer will still function to some degree but will be of limited usefulness.</p>

<p>"Firmware" is required code for any device controlled by a processor. The device will not function at all without it. A PC's "BIOS" is firmware, as it instructs the computer how and where to look for an operating system to load. A PC hard drive has firmware that tells it how to know when data is being requested, how to find the data requested, and how to provide it to the requester. Similarly, microprocessor-controlled cameras (every digital camera, and most later-model film cameras) have firmware that make them work.</p>