Custom Function 4 - Spot Metering

tom_berkowski

<p>I usually use spot metering since I frequently take backlit shots. I use center focus point only since I learned spot metering on 5D (original) uses center point for metering even if another AF point is selected. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)</p>

<p>I've started to experiment with Custom Function 4 as way to focus, recompose, shoot. Right night, I use CF4-1, but I believe metering is still set with shutter release half press. Since center point is used for metering, I think I'm getting readings for areas that need more exposure compensation.</p>

<p>I searched photo.net and found this, suggesting I move to CF4-3, however it only makes reference to evaluative or center-weighted metering, not spot.</p>

<p><a href="http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/20D_CF04_chart.pdf">http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/20D_CF04_chart.pdf</a></p>

<p>Question: should I use CF4-3 to set spot meter exposure and focus with * button, or should I use another choice?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>The spot meter in the camera is located in the view finder. The focus sensors are located below the mirror at the bottom of the camera. With CF4-1 exposure is still set when the shutter is pressed. It is my understanding that CF4-2 and CF4-3 are only for AI servo and will not lock exposure in single shot focus. </p>

<p>If you set CF4-0 then pressing the shutter partially will cause the camera to focus and then lock the focus and exposure. If you do not release the shutter you can recompose without unlocking focus or exposure. Once you have finished recomposing, press the shutter fully to take the shot. The Key point to remember in CF4-0 is to not release the shutter button until you have finished recomposing and taken the shot. </p>

<p>"Since center point is used for metering"</p><p>I'm not sure, but are you thinking the selected focus point has a bearing on exposure method? Excuse me if I'm misundertanding, but this isn't the case: the metering method (matrix, center weighted, etc) is set by the exposure button, and isn't effected by the selection of a specific focus point.</p><p>I typically have CF4 set to "1". I'll establish focus with the * button. Then if I have difficult exposure, say a bright window I want to exclude from the exposure assesment, I'll pan to exclude the window from the metered zone, half-depress shutter (locking exposure), recompose and then shoot.</p><p>FWIW I prefer "center weighted" exposure method for most shots, it just seems most practical for the majority of shots, at least with my style. It meters predominantly on the center, gradually tapers off, and will ignore the peripheral light sources that might be skewing things. Not always best, just the majority case. If I'm having troubles, and have the time, I find just dialing in a manual exposure avoids a lot of hassle.</p>

<p ><strong><em>"Metering moves w/focus point in spot and partial."</em></strong></p>

<p > </p>

<p >Not when I am using my 5D, it doesn't. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I'd like to have a chat with that Canon Representative? ? ? </p>

<p > </p>

<p >My default Metering Mode on my 5D is Spot Metering, and the area metered is at the centre, no matter what AF point is selected. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I use CF4 = 1, mostly. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >I use CF4 = 2 or CF4 = 3, sometimes: for specific purposes during AI Servo (as mentioned above) - usually only for some sports applications. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I also have a 20D: the reason that Spot Metering is not mentioned on the PDF prepared by Kerr, is that the 20D does not have a Spot Metering mode - that application arrived with the model 30D.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >***</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Whether I use Spot Metering or not, the Focus and Recompose method I use in conjunction with Metering through the camera is as described by Mendel Leisk in his para. two, viz.:</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><em >“I typically have CF4 set to "1". I'll establish focus with the * button. Then if I have difficult exposure, say a bright window I want to exclude from the exposure assessment, I'll pan to exclude the window from the metered zone, half-depress shutter (locking exposure), recompose and then shoot.”</em><em ></em></p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p>Thanks for the answers so far. </p>

<p>On subject of spot metering using a focus point other than center, someone may have a 1Ds Mark III or ID Mark II. Neither 5D version uses focus point other than center for spot metering. I'm looking at Canon EOS System Spring/Summer 2009 (paper copy), page 20-21. Metering system on 1DSIII includes "2.4% spot metering (linked to user-selected focusing point)." 1DIII says same thing but with 3.8%. Both 5D versions (they still list original) say "3.5% center spot metering."</p>

<p>Thanks again for advice on CF4. Any more information or advice welcome.</p>

<p> </p>

<p >Tom:</p>

<p > </p>

<p >I am now confused. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Please verify / confirm which camera models you are using and / or for which models you wish to establish the Metering Functionality.. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >My previous answer addressed the 5D, because that was the only camera you mentioned in your original question. </p>

<p > </p>

<p >Hence also my response to Thom was referring to 5D and its functionality.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >WW </p>

<p > </p>

<p > </p>

<p>I am using an original 5D, correct. I confirmed that spot metering is only center point on my camera body (and new 5d).</p>

<p>I was only speculating that Thom above might be using a 1D so Canon rep comment might be specific to his camera body, not applicable to mine.</p>

<p>Advice so far seems to be to use CF4-1 but still use half-shutter for tricky metering, if I put a person in far right of backlight frame, for example.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help and any additional suggestions are welcome.</p>

<p> Thanks Tom and Thom. Comments from both of you are now clear to me.<br>

<br>

<em><strong>"Advice so far seems to be to use CF4-1 but still use half-shutter for tricky metering, if I put a person in far right of backlight frame, for example."</strong></em><br>

<br>

For Backlighting: Yes that is what I do. <br>

If I can get close enough I just about fill the frame with a skin tone - rather than relying on the spot meter.<br>

WW</p>