best method to save raw files to dvd?

<p>I've been involved with digital photgraphy for about 6 months now. As a former film shooter, its been quite a learning process. My question is, I have an Canon XSI and use DPP to open my raw files. The way I've been saving the raw files to dvd is to transfer them from zoombrowser to my documents, and then I use Roxio software to put them on DVD. (there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer the raw files directly from DPP to my documents). Is there a better or easier way to transfer my raw files to DVD? Also, am I correct in assuming that when I rename a raw file, I'm not casuing the file to become unstable or damaging it in any way? Thanks so much for assisting this newcomer.</p>

<p><em>there doesn't appear to be a way to transfer the raw files directly from DPP to my documents</em></p>

<p>It's a common misconception that if you deal with files with a certain program, say Digital Photo Professional, those files reside in that program. Those files are somewhere on you computer's hard drive, but they're in no way "owned" by DPP.</p>

<p>Assuming you're on a Windows system, the most direct way to find them is with Windows Explorer. It has a search function that can help. I think a lot of people let programs like DPP "handle" where files are stored, and subsequently they have no idea of that location. It's worthwhile getting familiar with the file locations. You can also likely change the location, to something more convenient to your needs.</p>

<p>Roxio, or some other disc burning program, is still your best bet. You're not "transferring files from DPP" to DVD, you're just burning a copy of some files. It doesn't matter what sort of files, and the program you typically work those files with is irrelevant to the burn process.</p>

<p><em>Also, am I correct in assuming that when I rename a raw file, I'm not casuing the file to become unstable or damaging it in any way?</em></p>

<p>That's correct. File names are tags that can be changed with no other change to the file.</p>

<p>I use windows' "my pictures" folder. I then make sub folders for whatever I want. By event, day, month, year etc... But I can always locate them by going to my pictures. Like Mendel said, these other programs like Lightroom and Bridge and DPP are just reading the files from your HD, they are not saved in thses programs. When I burn a DVD of Raw files or any other files I just open Roxio and then go to the folder that has the files I want to burn and click on that folder and tell Roxio to burn it. As Mendel also said you can change names of the files. Just be sure you are not giving more than one file the same name. That will cause problems later.</p>

<p>Just rambling: about a decade back Bill Gates decided he knew what directory structure was best for us, coming up the condenscending "My Doc's", "My Music", "My Pictures", and so on. My tact is to pay it lip service by sticking with "My Doc's" as my main data file repository, but then create my own folders for most everything further down.</p>

<p>Around the same time BG decided each and every person to sit down at the computer was a separate "user", and had to have a distinct directory tree. This buries "My Doc's" in the labyrinth "Documents and Settings". But, here's something to do to drag "My Doc's" back up to the light of day:</p>

<p>Right-click the "My Doc's" icon on the desktop, select "properties", then click on "Move" in the pop-up, and navigate to where you'd like it, say something logical like C:\. You could just move it yourself, through Windows Explorer, but since the OS has so many hooks in things it's best to do it kosher.</p>

<p>Yeah, My Pictures is the default folder for any image or RAW files. I usually ignore MS "My" folder structure for all my pics....scanned film or digital....and create seperate folders on a second internal drive (and also immdediately back them up to an external drive). Then when I get enough pics to fill a DVD I transfer the internal drive's files to the DVD using Roxio.</p>

<p>Why I ignore MS's predetertimed "My" folder structure is just a matter of habit. I've been using computers, at work, for a long, long time. Long before anybody started this "MY" concept. Creating your own folders was just a way of life back in the day....and I've never gotten out of the habit.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>Well guys I am looking at this thread because I have had bad luck in saving photo files with Roxio. I have had a few corrupt files along the way, but worst of all I have just lost my second completely full CD.<br>

I see others here are using Roxio as I have now for about 6 years, suddenly it said there was a problem reading a file and did I want to correct that. Well guys I made a poor choice, I said yes and in doing so it dumped the complete disk.<br>

My internal hard drive will not hold much more so tomorrow I go in search of an external hard drive, I will never save another photo on CD for myself.<br>

Pardon me if I seem a little pissed..........I am. In 60 years I never lost a negative, never.</p>

<p> </p>