Lens choice

fredwelch531

<p>Finding my SQa rather too heavy, and her own Yashica a bit limiting, my partner has recently purchased an ETRsi for her medium format use. She now finds, as we shoot mainly landscapes and historical ruins, that she would like a wide angle lens. The question I have, is whether to buy her a 50mm F2.8 or a 40mm F4. Has anyone got any experience on these lenses and can they suggest which be more useful: The 50 which is the faster of the2 but not so "wide". Or the slightly wider 40 which is a stop slower?</p>

<p>I have an Hasselblad, but the comparison is valid. I find a 50mm lens is more useful than a 40mm lens with film. Both have their place, but a 40 is considered "very" wide, useful in confined spaces or (more important) to emphasize the foreground. A 50 and 80 make a nice pair for landscapes, architecture and general photography. As you continue to build your kit, I would recommend a 150 "medium" tele before purchasing a 40 "very" wide.</p>

<p>Edward, thanks for your reply. I agree, I have 50, 80 and 150 for my own SQa which shoots 6x6cm square. My partner is using an ETRsi which shoots 6x4.5cm and her "standard lens" is 75mm. On that basis should she not be using a 40mm to get the same sort of view as I get with my 50mm?</p>

<p>Yes Heller I know about the differences between the MC and the PE lenses. How much distortion is there with the 40 over the 50? She's not after a very wide lens - just something that will give her roughly the same sort of coverage as a 28 on 35mm. As I said in my last post, the Bronica/Tamron site list the 50 as nearest to this, being equivalent to a 30mm on 35mm. I use a 50mm on my SQa and it's just the sort of coverage I'm after, however, that's a 2.8. The 40mm for the ETRsi is only an F4. We just can't decide whether the faster max aperture is more of an advantage than the wider view of the 40. </p>