Missing Bronica Sq-ai battery chamber

cory_newbould

<p>This is not enough info, is it the cover or the whole clip and everything is stripped out of place? Do you have a way to post a pic of this? If not please give all the details. Also, have you done some searches for repair parts, maybe contact Tamron who if I remember took this over a while back before it all ended, they might have new parts to sell.</p>

<p>I am missing the whole clip that you put the batteries in to keep them in place inside the chamber. Everything else is all right I am just missing that clip to to hold the batteries.<br />This is what i need <a href="http://zathras.tuxcnc.org/sq-ai/battery-3.jpg">http://zathras.tuxcnc.org/sq-ai/battery-3.jpg</a> or need to make which ever is easier</p>

<p>This is an integral part of the camera, not an accessory so I've never seen one for sale. I guess my first port of call would be the Tamron/Bronica distributor in the country where you live on the basis that they probably still offer a repair service and so might have the part as a spare. Otherwise buy a second SQA-i body and share the battery holder between them, or buy a junk SQA-i body and strip this ( and other potentially useful parts ) from it. Note do not get a SQA or earlier body. </p>

<p>Yes Cory, ditto on David's post. To elaborate, the earlier SQa and SQ models have a completely different clip. Maybe someone knows better where you can get the parts easier, but I think what we have told you is about all there is to tell. OK now let us know how you make out.</p>

<p>OK we're crossing posts here. I would try e-mailing some of the bigger NY photo houses starting with B+H, fotocare, adorama, and any others you can think of to try and dig one up. Did you buy the camera without it, or did you lose or break the original. Making something is probably not out of the question, I mean in theory you just need to apply the proper voltage to the contacts and it will work, but how convenient or reliable the rigup would be is the question. There's also a pretty pro level shop in Jersey City, I forget the name but I think they're a Lumedyne dealer you could look on their site for more pro shops. Shops that carry big pro flashes like those probably have some possible connections.</p>

<p>You know when you consider that the cheapest SQ-Ai to fail to sell on eBay these last two weeks was $221; when you consider that you could sell on the lens, back and the wlf if you wanted; when you consider that a spare body will be a whole lot cheaper than all but the simplest repair if you get a malfunction in future, I can't help feeling that the cost of this route might well be less than getting something fabricated from scratch. </p>

<p>I mean if you have a garage full of equipment that you can use to shape plastics and metal with considerable accuracy and you like doing that sort of thing, thats fine. There's nothing magic about it- its just a fairly intricate and size-sensitive lump of plastic and metal. If OTOH you're going to find a professional organisation to make one of these things from scratch from a photograph then I think thats going to cost you more than buying a cheap body or outfit and selling on what you don't want to keep. I also think that without a sample or a complete spec, any decent company would make you aware that there is no guarantee of success. There is no $10 solution here that doesn't involve a near miracle of coincidence or generosity.</p>

<p>I agree with you David, but he mentions a little short on cash so if he rigs up something to apply the correct voltage to the contacts, he can use the camera. I believe, but not sure the voltage is 6volts to run the camera, a small 6v cell like the old ones with a pair of soldered wires could be clipped onto the terminals and he's good to go for at least a year. I wouldn't solder onto the actual camera, but you can solder onto the 6v cell and make little clips and tape it up or a big shrink wrap and he's done. I used to fix odd stuff all the time like this. What a stupid design on Bronica's part though, what were they thinking.</p>

<p>Good idea Dave. It is 6v which Bronica have decided should be delivered via 4 x 1.5 volt button cells for some reason that presumably made sense to them. Previous models used a single 6V cell, and apparently the size of the battery compartment had to be reduced when the SQ-Ai was launched to allow the use of an accessory motor winder that I'm not convinced a lot of people bought. I do believe that what you suggest could be made to work, by some people at least (noy by me sadly). Do you think it could be achieved whilst still allowing the use of a tripod or a Speedgrip?</p>

<p>I have never seen one of these Ai specemins, I had several SQa bodies and an Am and an ETRS, but when these came out, I had already started selling off this eq and changing to Hasselblads. BUT that being said, I would bet there is a way to rig up the 6v cell inside the winder and run a small wire over with clips to fire it up. There's probably wasted space in one of those enough to work it, but again, not sure. Actually if someone is sharp with this stuff, you could get four of these button cells and wire them up using solder and some copper strip, pack them in an insulating plastic shrink tubing, clip up to the camera contacts and that will fit right in the compartment. It has to because it would actually be smaller than that ridiculous contraption that Bronica came up with.</p>

• 1 year later...