Fuji f100fd or Canon sd880 for big wall adventure

<p>So I'm going to be climbing el cap and the extra weight of a SLR just isn't going to hack it. But I do want to bring a camera. Wide angle is a must. The tight quarters of a big wall demand it. 24mm or less would be ideal but I can get by with a 28.<br>

This brings me to the two choices above. The f100fd as the advantage of high ISO and a little more range on the zoom. However I'm not terribly convinced of the optics or image quality. I've searched pbase and it seems to turn up alot of amateurish shots in the middle of the day under harsh light or bad party shots. Although there are some stunning examples out there.<br>

the sd880 is limited in the zoom but I've seen what appears to be more pleasing results with this one. It also has a slightly faster lens fwiw.<br>

I'm torn right now and would appreciate any feedback on either of these two cameras.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p> I own a Fuji F100fd. I'm pleased with it. The advantage of the Fuji is in the clean high ISOs (To 800) for a P&S. Be aware that the Fuji has no histogram, and only programmed exposure. If you go with the Fuji, pop for extra batteries (more than 1). They are small, and don't last too long. I ended up with four, and on some picture-intensive days, I've used 2 and gotten into the third one. Having said all that, I've owned several Canon P&S's including 2 SD models, but no SD880, still own two, and love them, specially the out-of camera color possibilities, but the Fujis excel in the high ISO dept.</p>

<p> Here is a comparison of these (and other) P&S:</p>

<p>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408premiumgroup/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks didnt know about the F200 exr. Reading the review and seeing samples it looks like the f100fd with manual and AE.<br>

Not so sure on how I feel about the results of the EXR technology but I'm willing to take a chance if the price is right.<br>

Considering personal saftey will be at stake most of the time I will be happy to get proper exposure and decent framing.</p>

<p>Bill, the DPreview test <em>was </em> for Xmas 2008. The OP asked explicitly about the F100fd which is still available. I also own a Fuji 200 EXR, but he did not ask about that.</p>

<p> Anyway, here...</p>

<p>http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/technology/personaltech/20pogue.html?ex=1266379200&en=259ea2ab8d0d85c0&ei=5087&WT.mc_id=TE-D-I-NYT-MOD-MOD-M111-ROS-0809-HDR&WT.mc_ev=click</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Luis G<br>

Thanks for the reply. Do you find the extra features of the F200EXR that much of an advantage?<br>

It seems that the two cameras share the same lens and chip. With variations occuring only in the software. So does it stand to reason that the image quality is identical/comperable?</p>

<p>I am faced with a similar dilema, Kilimanjaro: what to take, as I am not going to lug my SLR up there.<br>

I want quality I will appreciate, and produce 10X15 photos from.<br>

First and ideal thought was a Hasselbald XPan with 45 and 90 lenses; but dont think I will end up with that, still too weighty</p>

<p>Four digital compacts: Ricoh GX200, Lumix LX3, Canon G9/10/11 or the FUJI F200 (previously the 100)</p>

<p>* All four feature manual controls* (Fuji not so much).<br>

* Price favors the FUJI- refurb models from Fuji direct are £175, or half that of the Lumix<br>

* Panoramic, always good for mountains favors the Lumix - RAW and low light ability<br>

* Canon G range, compatible with my speedlights, useful on the final push, RAW, but bigger & heavier</p>

<p>* Automatic: whilst I prefer and use Manual modes, at the summit I am going to be looking for the best auto mode to bail me out of thinking. - Fuji features a highlight recovery mode (exr) that at high altitude has got to be useful but it restricts the output to 6M pixels.</p>

<p>So its a toss up between the FUJI, and the Lumix, Fuji has a much longer zoom range, and I can crop to Panoramic. But the main advantage will most likely sacrifice the quality I want, so maybe wait for the next Fuji F300, or a reincarnation of the E series.<br>

Lumix LX3 it is then... low light quality, at full pixels...</p>

<p>But I like the Ricoh! and theres the new Sony WX1... (and its stupid memory card)<br>

Oh god its difficult.<br>

but to answer your question the canon should be out the picture.</p>

<p>Well I found the f100fd for a bargain price on e-bay. So I'm going with that. I decided to forego the extra expense of the f200 for the extra manual options since I'll be focused on climbing first and photography second. (more about this in a second) Also the price is right for what essentially should be treated as a disposable camera.<br>

Graham,<br>

I will post up shots post el cap from the f100fd. After having a good think about this I really don't care about or need manual controls on a wall or in the mountains. What I need is good metering and correct exposure. A fair number of mountaineering shots are going to be landscapes focused to infinity or something thereabouts. What is critical is having a good wide angle. With a strong foreground element, such as a climber, the wide angle does the mountain environment justice. After that you need something like a 80-200 depending on the range you are in. In some of the tighter south american ranges less so but in the wide expanse of the everest range its nice.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Update:<br />I bought the f100fd a spare battery and a spare SD card. all totalled around 200. Essentially this needs to be a disposable camera. For 6 days it was sat on, crushed, bounced, dropped and generally suffered more abuse than it was designed for.<br />I am pleased with the results. I am still disappointed with some of the shots but overall it was a marvelous bit of kit for what it is. the 28mm was great for the shots on the wall but i would have rather a 24. 140mm was a little short but what can you do. The menus are a little bit clumsy to work on the fly but overall not too bad.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Sorry but an update - I have very seriously narrowed down my personal choice of lightweight camera to one</p>

<p>The Panasonic GF1 with 20mm f1.7 with a 14-280mm lens<br>

(This has a multiplier of 2x)</p>

<p>Whilst I havent got one (yet), and wont buy one until the RAW feature is widely supported (ie on Aperture) It has answered my search, only problem now is to wait for more supported lenses... and a few faster ones too.</p>