A new, related sideline?

bill_mussett1

<p>Interesting idea. I think it would have to be attended by an assistant which raises the price to clients - I wouldn't want to be distracted by technical issues during the day, and the idea of leaving a laptop with tethered camera lying around makes me and my insurer nervous! If you could set up a system to capture video, it would be nice to get guests to leave their good wishes for the bride and groom - presented as a video guestbook.</p>

<p>Unattended photo booth and an "open bar"............I don't think so. Shower curtain backdrop from Ikea instead of canvas background...............I don't think so. Hundreds of goofy images with funny faces and people sticking out their tounges.....I don't think so.</p>

<p>Good lighting, quality camera in the hands of a pro that knows how to have fun at the backdrop........yes, please.</p>

<p>Photo booths were all the rage about 2 years ago. People viewed them as a cheaper alternative to the pro photographer. Something for the guests that weren't in the majority of the "Pro" photos. The idea was that there would be an attendant printing the photos as shot so that they (the guests) could take something home. </p>

<p>It was kind of an upgrade from the cheap single use cameras on the tables, gave the guests something to take with, and wasn't as expensive (or as nice) as the Pro doing portraits at the reception.</p>

<p>In my opinion it was (is) a fad that hopefully died about a year ago. I haven't talked to a single bride that is even considering doing that as an option.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>This is not exactly news. Attended and unattended photo booths are still popular. Some of them are set up by the pro photographer doing the wedding. The set up in the article is a bit more automated (software) and less pro than the ones I've seen. Most of the pro set ups include a regular (but definitely not Old Masters type) background--usually a solid color with a modern, not studio-like feel, a tripod with a camera on it with a cable release and a one light (probably softbox or umbrella) set up.</p>

<p>Sometimes an attendant is hired by the pro so the cable release isn't necessary. I've also seen some booths done with a ring light (and attendant).</p>

<p>The resulting photos are handled by the pro--the images are usually high key or have snappy contrast and don't look anything like 'regular' portraits of old.</p>

<p>As for a new source of income, I wouldn't count on it to generate a lot of profit. The images are not always sold by the print, as in the past.</p>

<p><em><strong>"Many photographers who are in the photobooth business are laughing all the way to the bank."</strong></em><br>

<br>

Photo-booths are not something we see a lot of down-under - but it has twigged my interest enough to ask for more information, Aimee . . . <br>

<br>

Re your comment: - <br>

1. Fact with supporting data? <br>

2. Anecdotal experience and your professional opinion? <br>

3. Guessometry?<br>

<br>

Thanks in advance.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p > </p>