Cleaning just purchased Rolleicord

bob_biess

I just picked up a Rolleicord V that although in excellent condition

has been stored for 30 years! The camera should arrive in a couple

of days and I would like to clean it up a bit before shooting my

first roll of film. Based on the results, it may end up going in for

a full CLA. All I really want to do is cleanup the exterior, mirror,

finder and film compartment and leave the rest to a pro.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the products/techniques that I

should use to do this? Also, does anyone have any experience with

Heinz Grasshoff Camera Repair in Ann Arbor, MI? They're Rollei-only

restorers and they're very close to where I live.

Thanks,

Bob Biess

I got my Rolleicord IV from the "broken as is cameras" section of the Yellow rag Shutterbug ads about 1977. It was about 30 dollars; and the shutter was gummed up. I also got a Rollieflex standard for about the same price. Both were disassembled; and the shutters removed. After fooling with the first shutter and getting nowhere; I sent both donnut shaped shutters only to Marty Forster at Professional camera repair in New York City... They cleaned all the gunk out of each for 38 bucks about each. Then the lenses were added back to each donnut shaped shutter assembly. The Rollei's have 4 helical screws that move the lens board outward. There is several different positions that the old Standard Rollei could be set; one must get the correct entry; to get the infinity focus correct & the front plate to be parallel.. Next the mirror on both were cleaned; and the front leather rebonded..<BR><BR>This was alot of work; without having any guide or reference manual. <BR><BR>To properly fix a really gummed up shutter; and its slow speed escapements requires usually removing the shutter assembly from the TLR camera body.<BR><BR> Sometimes shutters are "pseudo repaired" at lower costs by just removing the front element and statigically placing lighter fluid at the right spots....This may free up an old shutter; but may also get gunk on the rear lens element assembly...This is <b>real dangerous</b> if one doesnt know the camera and shutter well. The shutters used in the rollei's are very standard leaf shutters...<BR><BR>Both my Rolleicord IV and 1937 Rolleiflex Standard's shutters have no sticking or problems; There shutters were "fixed" by Professional camera (now gone) 25 years ago; and will not be sent for a CLA unless required....Most shutters get gunked up because they do not get enough exercise..