Anyone have and use the new Paul C. Buff PLM light modifiers?

d_g5

<p>Nevermind ppl...<br>

Just got the PLM about 5hrs ago - completely informal testing by the way. OH my goodness! I firmly believe that this thing refocuses nearly each beam of light! The 42" silver PLM (without the diffusion material) gave off F16 for ISO 100 at 1/4 power approximately 7ft away from the tip of the umbrella shaft! (Barebulb at that!!!)<br /> <br /> This is not the F20,000 and the likes that people are reporting but when I shoot fashion i was actually considering the Zeus to get F22 to overpower the sun in broad daylight... Why n the F would I do that now? By the way... this was from a B800. Here's the best part... when I metered a between the end of the umbrella and the umbrella shaft I got 2/3rds more output!!! What does this mean? That I didn't even have it perfectly optimally focused! I guess this is where the new Spill Kill reflector will come in handy - as you will clearly see the edges and be able to line the reflector and umbrella edges up for optimal focus.<br /> <br /> Wow... much more to come! Watch my blog for images made with it at</p>

<p>Power is a small part-- though I do wonder why they used a material that would allow it to be used as a shoot through also. That should eat some of the light and could have been avoided. How does it work?</p>

<p>How is the spill control, eveness of the lighting, what's the fall off like and the focus of the shadow at subject distance? Does it give a double umbera (sp) like an umbrella, or a single dithered one like a softbox?</p>

<p>I have the silver version. the white is softer with less output. I wouldnt use them. Ty Yang... use a barebulb strobe of about 100 watts and see how your f16 looks 6-8 ft away!!! :) I think the 42" is gonna get worked to death!</p>

• 4 weeks later...